My Desktop Build-Thoughts, Info, Help, Opinions Greatly Appreciated!!!

01tacomaman

Baseband Member
I am looking to build a Gaming/Work Desktop. I am looking to keep it in the price range I already have but if you know of a better part or one part not working good with another please let me know as I am new to this.

Motherboard-Asus P5N32-SLI Deluxe

CPU-Intel E6400 Core 2 Duo(CPU and Motherboard off ebay 478$)

Hard Drive- Western Digital Caviar SE WD3200JB 320GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive(85$ from newegg.com)

Fan-ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler(70$ from newegg.com)

Case-APEVIA X-Navigator ATXA9N-BK/500 Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case ATX 500W dual fan w/ automatic fan speed control. Connector 20 + 4 pin Power Supply(85$ after rebate from newegg.com)

Video Card-XFX PVT71PUDP3 GeForce 7900GS 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 EXTREME Video Card(145 After Rebate newegg.com)

RAM-Kingston 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory(170 newegg.com)

Optical Drive-SAMSUNG Black 18X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 18X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2M Cache E-IDE/ATAPI DVD Burner - OEM(30$ newegg.com)

Please help me with any info and compatibility problems that might occur. Also can I just use my Dell OS disk to install Windows XP so I wont have to buy a new OS and how do I go about drivers? Also will be finishing it all off with a 22" Dell LCD Screen. Will all this perform together nicely?

why get an IDE 8mb cache crapppy HD

Get a SATAII 16MB Cache WD Caviar HD

Possibly think about spending a few more bucks on the ram and getting DDR2 800 ram, corsair has some very nice sets for a few bucks more.

besides that nice setup.

yeah get a SATA II hard drive. I got a Western Digital Caviar 160GB for about $65 from Newegg.

Okay do yall have any good reccomendations. Also what about my OS and drivers. Can I use my OS from my laptop to load on there?

oh try and get an e6600 proc the e6400 is good but the 6600 is damm good

also maybe get a raptor for os boot drive
rather than wd caviar's look into seagate perpendicular recording drives

dont th9ink the dell os disk will work

I'm not sure about your Dell disc as I am unaware of what exactly is installed on it but like muz said, my first guess would be that it's not going to work for you.

For drivers you won't have to worry because all of your computer components will come with discs containing the appropriate drivers needed (of course they will be outdated so once those are installed you might want to find newer ones online)

Like muz or anyone else I would also recommend an E6600 but I think if you've found a good deal on the E6400 then go ahead and get that one. I'm not sure that the additional cost of moving up to an E6600 is worth it.

Also I would recommend a Seagate HDD over a Western Digital (unless you were buying the raptor). I just find the seagates are quieter (from my own personal experience).

Thanks so much everyone. I am not trying to get a raptor drive as the 10,000 speed is not that important but will look into the others. The E6400 is kind of pushing it for me. What does everyone think about my other options like video card/motherboard. My OS disk is the disk I use to reformatt my drives on my laptop. Does everything look like it will work together okay? I also have a external sound card, can I just plug that into the USB port so I dont have to use a internal sound card?

I just ordered the 92mm fan can someone reccomend a good power supply or a good case with power supply money is a issue. I was looking on newegg and the case did not get good reviews at all that I was wanting.

Back
Top Bottom