freestyler's build work log

ownage said:
You don't like Lian Li huh? I bet the build quality is 10x better than your Raidmax.

@Freestyler: Where are you getting your XtremeMusic? I'm looking for one, but can't find any. Thanks!
I don't know yet, I just spent most of my cash on the E6600, the RAM, and the Tuniq Tower this weekend, so I won't be getting anything else for a while.

Yeah, it's a nice case. The pics don't really do it justice, it has this really nice brushed aluminum finish. Plus I've heard tons of good things about how easy it is to build with and how great the airflow is. I'll pop some quality LED fans in there, and it'll be looking fine.

Anyway, the RAM came in the mail, here it is:

Does anyone know how RAM can be SLI ready??? :confused:
And if I want to, is it possible to take off the stock heatspreaders and put some new ones on there for overclocking? Will it make much of a difference?

I just read this and I'm ready to do some intense OCing:
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2795&p=18

The 2.4GHz E6600 turned out to be quite an overclocker in our tests. Even though it was hard-locked at a 9 multiplier it reached an amazing 4GHz in the overclocking tests. That represents a 67% overclock.
Holy crap...4 GHz!!!!!!

SLI Ready is just a gimmick, marketing tool. RAM is RAM, it might be stressed tested for SLI, but, i don't see how RAM affects GPUs, CPUs yes, but not GPUs. :confused:

Apparently my CPU just left the Edison, New Jersey warehouse and is on it's way to Buffalo. Google says the trip from there to here is 6 hours, but with stops to drop off other stuff (I'd assume they do that...) it'll be about twice that I guess? So if UPS gets the package into Buffalo by tomorrow morning, think they'll deliver it tomorrow?

Lol, I'm just anxious to get this baby up and running! I wonder how much faster folding will be on this thing...I finished my 5th work unit today finally.

Whoa, I didn't know you were building a new setup. That case will set you back some, but the airflow in those things are awesome. Plus they're solid!!!

Ok, now guess what? I might be doing a build much sooner too!!!! Everyone that builds a PC, make a log :p. Seriously, I got a buyer for my computer. But I need to get a laptop first, then save to build a new PC. However, I don't plan on making it top of the line.

Now, first thing once you get it going---post review on your motherboard. I want that same one. If it works out for you, I may end up getting it too. Also the RAM too.

For cases, i'd take the CM Stacker. that thing is a beast, and expensive (about $250 on newegg if i remember correctly) i regret grabin my case over it as my airflow sucks.

If you haven't found a sound card yet, i'd wait a bit for one. I'm assuming you are going to put vista on that eventually (if not right away, i don't remember) and according to MS and Creative, there is NO EAX in vista! Google it if you don't belive me.

celegorm said:
For cases, i'd take the CM Stacker. that thing is a beast, and expensive (about $250 on newegg if i remember correctly) i regret grabin my case over it as my airflow sucks.

If you haven't found a sound card yet, i'd wait a bit for one. I'm assuming you are going to put vista on that eventually (if not right away, i don't remember) and according to MS and Creative, there is NO EAX in vista! Google it if you don't belive me.
Uh...:
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2006/11/28/Vista_will_support_eax_after_all/
http://apcmag.com/5168/creative_puts_eax_back_into_vista

Either way, I won't be getting a sound card anytime soon. I need a DVD drive first things first, until then I have to steal one from my current computer :(

And yeah, Vista Ultimate x64 is downloading as we speak (sorry, $200 for Ultimate doesn't go into my current budget...maybe eventually)

where did you find those links??? i swear i looked in google earlier this week and got all negitives.

either way, it makes me happy to see that, i can look forward to getting an x-fi in the future

freestyler105 said:
Does anyone know how RAM can be SLI ready??? :confused:
And if I want to, is it possible to take off the stock heatspreaders and put some new ones on there for overclocking? Will it make much of a difference?

I would bet they just Run that RAM in an SLI system, smack the cert sticker on there and charge more.

As far as the heat spreaders, yea you can take them off.

Maybe upgrade to a spreader like the dominator style, But i am using the stock Coarsir XMS spreaders and they work great.

I would just stick with them if i were you.

LambOfGod said:
I would bet they just Run that RAM in an SLI system, smack the cert sticker on there and charge more.

As far as the heat spreaders, yea you can take them off.

Maybe upgrade to a spreader like the dominator style, But i am using the stock Coarsir XMS spreaders and they work great.

I would just stick with them if i were you.
Okay, thanks. I just don't want the RAM to be bottlenecking my OCing, butit sounds like there won't be a problem.

And I'll be sure to post some reviews!!!

Update on my CPU:
Apparently it stopped in some bum town in NY, and it left there around 1:30 AM. The place is 4 hours away, so it should be here by now...crossing my fingers that I get it today!
02/20/2007 01:32:00 IN TRANSIT TO BUFFALO, NY, US
02/20/2007 01:31:00 ARRIVAL SCAN COLONIE, LATHAM, NY, US

Back
Top Bottom