Computer wont start after brand new build

v0lten

Baseband Member
Hi people. I just got all the parts to my new PC and installed them....

Upon pushing the power button, my LED's come on and fans start. 1 second later it all dies, like I shut off the power. 2 seconds after it dies, it starts again. It repeats this process for as long as I was willing to stand it. Upon shutting off the main power from the power supply. The fans and LEDs come on once again without any power to them..... Has anyone ever heard of anything like this happening? What could the problem be? Its my first computer build but Im 99% sure I installed everything correctly.

I have a
Gigabyte D3 mobo
Intel E6600
Xion PowerReal 600w psu
8800 GTS
DVD player
SATA 160 HD
2 gigs corsair XMS ram

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME! IM GOING CRAZY!!!!

Firstly are all the power cables rightly installed? one time id accidently blown the 4pin atx12v cable that goes into the mobo and it was doing something similar... so maybe the cable isnt in correctly or not in at all?

It also sounds like its shorting on something. Is it all secured into the case properly, i know its a pain but u might be better off taking it all out of the case and starting again, dont stick any drives on tho and try starting it when its just a barebones system, ie gfx, ram and cpu. If this doesnt work then you have narrowed it down to gfx, ram, cpu or mobo, if it does work then u know its either one of the other things u have or just bad luck last time ;)

you can start the computer without having a harddrive installed?
I didnt know that. I realized when I saw your post that I forgot the 4 prong +12v to the mobo. I thought that that must have been it when I thought about it..... Nope. Still does the same thing. I guess I will try disconnecting the HD and DVD

Yeah as long as there is RAM, CPU, MOTHERBOARD (obviously ;) ) and GRAPHICS installed the pc will start up, u wont be able to load anything cos of lack of hdd etc but it gives u an idea if anything else is causing the problem, hope u get it sorted.

Another thought, u have plugged the CPU fan into the right hole havent u? if at all lol. Some pcs wont boot up unless it can detect a fan plugged into the cpu fan socket.

Disconnected both... Same thing happens

Im having this feeling its my PSU.....

But, I cant switch it out with this one (the computer Im on) because it doesnt have the appropriate power adapter to power my 8800gts. Can I still run my 8800gts without that power adapter as long as I dont try to put a load on it?

This really sucks. I appreciate your quick responses though.

Also, do you think I could be possibly frying something if the PSU is shorting out? It scares me sh1tless everytime I turn it on. :(

Erm not sure bout that it might start to add problems of it own by not using the power, maybe someone else can clarify. You sure the board isnt shorting on any metal object? and do u have another gfx u can try? a lower powered one?

And you're very welcome :)

If you arent 100% sure bout the psu then it pays to be careful, might get away with it if its not serious, but im not completly sure, it wud also worry me too lol. I take it the board doesnt have a built in graphics?

No, the board doesnt have built in graphics... I found an adapter for the 8800 so I can power it with a regular 4 prong peice. I disconnected the 8800 and tried starting... Same thing.Now im trying my PSU to see if it works.

Ok, never mind... I guess Im not

The two PSUs I have lying around dont fit the 24 pin connector on the mobo. My two extra PSUs only have a 20+4 pin.....Is there some way to connect these older PSUs to my new mobo?

well i figured out how to hook up the 20 + 4 pin psu..... Turn on the power... same thing.

What... the... hell...

I double checked all my front panel switches etc.... There are a few things that arent connected because there is no where to put them... Coming out of the front panel with all the other wires is a set of 4 called "1394". It just doesnt seem like that would be the problem, though. It seemed more like a PSU problems the way it just loses power. The other thing I was thinking of is jumpers. The only jumper the mobo lists is the CMOS RESET. The CMOS RESET has two prongs. It says to clear the CMOS you have to temporarilly short it. I think that means touch them together via a conductor. I did that. Still nothing. Maybe I did it wrong. I was extremely careful handling the mobo and I even wore an anti-static wrist strap the entire install.... Im at a loss for words right now Im so mad. Ive been waiting for this computer forever, I finally get it, and it seems like I have a faulty mobo....

Anything else ANYONE can think of before I kill myself? :mad:

Back
Top Bottom