2 operating systems on one computer?

toole13

In Runtime
Whenever I start up my computer, I have a choice of operating systems to choose from. They are both Windows XP Home edition, but they both have different settings. What happened was I had to reinstall windows because I couldn't activate the other. How to I take off the one I never use?

When you reinstalled Windows from the disk did you click format or just click install new operating system.

If you only installed new operating system then it didn't erase you old one.

you have to click D to delete that partition and that will allow it to reformat.

Is this a custom computer or is it from a brand.?

chances are you reformatted and it just copied over your old boot.ini file and added another line to it. to get rid of that line you do this.
1. click start->right click on my computer->click properties
2. in the dialog that comes up click the advanced tag.
3. under startup and recovery click the setting button.
4. now in the window that comes up under system startup, select edit.
5. this will bring up your boot.ini in a text file, the one you currently have installed should be where it says default=........
6. delete the second line under operating systems. you should see
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)........
mulit(0)disk(........... <- delete that one :)

that should get rid of having to click that and it'll just bootup.

If you dont need to keep anything off the other 2 installations, then just reformat and do a clean install.

You could do whats mentioned above and alter the boot.ini file, but you will still have the 2 OSes on the computer, it just wont give you the option to boot.

Another option is to delete the second installation from the HDD, then run your XP disc and use the FIXMBR and FIXboot command.

^^chances are that if he did a format, the 2nd os is not actually there. Have you tried to boot to it, it'll prolly give you an error saying its not found. Sometimes when you reinstall the boot.ini file only gets updated because the install holds it in memory so it doesn't get overwritten. i've had this happen to me many times at work after a fresh install and format. if you can't boot to the 2nd one, then it's not there and you could just delete it and not worry about it.

I did what xtremezx2 told me to do originally and it worked. Thanks a lot. Is there anything else I should do to finalize it or anything?

Back
Top Bottom