overclocking question...

wol-va-rine

Fully Optimized
I am using an asus p4b mobo and have the option of increasing my fsb or multiplier or maybe both (my multiplier is x15 by default and I can only adjust it by clearing my cmos, I think it goes up to x23 or something close to that)...

which would yield the best results, raising my fsb or raising my multiplier...? I tried raising my multiplier once to 18 and it reset itself back to 15, I am currently running at 1.875 ghz on an overclocked 1.5 ghz pentium4 willamette c1 processor, I've increased my fsb to 125 (from 100)...

also, I don't have an option to decrease my sdram fsb, but I do have the option to change from 2T-2T-2T-5T to 3T-3T-3T-6 or 7T on my other settings (latency or something), should I do it...?

also, one of my sdram modules is slower than my pc133, it's pc125, is that why I can't go too far over 125 with my fsb...? I've had it up to 127, but can't go any higher without hanging...

my sdram idle timer is set at infinite, should I drop it to 64, 16, or something even less...? anyone have any suggestions...? shouldn't I be able to go over 2 ghz...?

my temp is about 48 degrees celsius, and I'm just trying to get the hang of this overclocking thing...

You cant raise the multiplier, very rarely do you find a CPU with an unlocked multiplier. Work on the FSB and ram timing. Unfortunatly im really sketchy on ram timings and never got the hang of them. So unless you can find the RAM frequency I cant really help you

99nasha said:
You cant raise the multiplier, very rarely do you find a CPU with an unlocked multiplier. Work on the FSB and ram timing. Unfortunatly im really sketchy on ram timings and never got the hang of them. So unless you can find the RAM frequency I cant really help you

I read your locked thread, it got me to where I am now, thanks, but I think I'm pretty much maxed out without being able to reduce the ram freq...

ScreenShot001.jpg

the reason I think I may be able to get to 2.0ghz is that I can probably replace the one module of pc125 ram with pc133, my friend has about 5 or 6 modules of pc133 laying around his place that he's not using...

you said something about the fsb and the ram freq running at the same speed right...? and I think the ram will run at the setting of the lowest module (125)...? I think I can push it even further if I replace that one ram module...

ScreenShot002.jpg

I will see tomorrow when I see him...

The highest his mobo can support is 133 for the ram. Often the thing holding back overclocking is the ram. I've been playing around with my pc and its def my ram holding me back. You have to weigh up the advantages and disadvantages of reducing ur Ram speed to be able to get Higher CPU clock speed. I managed to get my cpu up to 2.55 but my ram had to be reduced by 50mhz! and this in turn made my benchmarks for ram slide down badly, in everest for instance in one case, i got 2000mb/s less with the overclock and not too much higher in the cpu score.

Basically what im saying is i think with the pc u have, uve reached the highest level of overclock ur going to reach, unless u replace that 125 ram, even then it wont rise too much higher than it is now, but like u said possibly 2 ghz which is quite impressive!! And yes the ram will all be running at the lowest speed memory stick ie 125.

Back
Top Bottom