Speed test (my cable is SO SLOW!)

mrkiki911

Baseband Member
ok I have at&t dsl. We are paying for the higher teir package-

Our top of the line product - one dynamic IP address at our highest speed available (up to 6.0 Mbps)!

So, of course I do not expect to be gettin 6.0Mbps ... but here are my line speeds (test was done @ speakeasy.net/speedtest)

Download Speed: 2630 kbps (328.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 641 kbps (80.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

I am happy with my UP speed, that that DL speed is HORRIBLE.

I called and complained. The person I talked to was completely uneducated in anything havin to do with computers (figures). He told me to connect to my router and read off the connection speed it was displaying. I switched off my old cable internet because they run a monoply over here and charge sick prices. The at&t people promised the same numbers for less.

Connection Speed:
• Incoming: 6016 kbps
• Outgoing: 768 kbps

Ok, so? the router runs off sbc program that looks are newb and fancy. I explained that i getting 1/3 of what i should be. He went on to say it might be spyware and shit, so i countered with "I am on a fresh install of XP with anti virus and 3 anti-spyware programs... (a lie, but i know my computer is clean)."

he had nothing to say to that except the line we are connected to is giving us what it is supposed to be giving us, and the problem lies in my computer.

thanks for your help jackass. -_-

anyways, anyone have any ideas on trying to get a better DL speed, i think im going back to the overpriced cable company over here.

Any good tweaks that might help me?

The speed has a lot to do with the server's speed. Try a few different tests, and see if it fluctuates:
http://www.speedtest.net/
http://www.dslreports.com/stest

Also, at certain times of day, when more people are using the internet in your area, it will go slower because more people will be using the lines. Quoted from the wikipedia article on cable modems:
Users in a neighborhood share the available bandwidth provided by a single coaxial cable line. Therefore, connection speed varies depending on how many people are using the service at the same time. In most areas this has been eliminated due to redundant and fiber networks. From a technical point of view, all networks, including DSL services, are sharing a fixed amount of bandwidth between a multitude of users — but because cable networks tend to be spread over larger areas than DSL services, more care must be taken to ensure good network performance.

Did they run a test on your line? I thought AT&T was supposed to have fiber to the pole, which would indicate you shouldn't have a problem with your speeds. The downside to DSL, unlike broadband (cable) is that it depends on how far away you are from the central hub in your area. For readers of this thread:

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/dsl.htm

I can say that I used to work for an ISP in Nashville TN, as a HSI rep, and I used to get calls all the time from people that where supposed to be getting 6Mbps, 8Mbps down, and was only getting 3 or 4 at best. While I can see why these customers where upset, they couldn't seem to come to grips with it's an "at best" service. This means that although the advertisement says you can 6Mbps down- the reality is you will probably see 6Mbps down once every so often. Your's is on the lower side though- so you have a right to complain. For instance, I have DSL Xtreme, which is rated at 3Mbps down/384kbps up. The first site I was getting 3114kbps down, and nothing up (it froze up). The second site, I averaged 2014kbps down, and 314kbps up. That's about 1000kbps difference, pretty big difference.

Back
Top Bottom