maybe I'm just an e-tard...

If u oc'd the ram too a good program is Memtest. Usually within 10 minutes u can tell if ur ram is stable. I leave it on just for one pass, if it passes that then im happy...

wol-va-rine said:
I have an asus p4b mobo (old, but very overclockable), but yes, I have slow ram, but I'm still trying to get the most out of what I have, also, I have a question, pcwizard tells me I have 256 mb pc133, 128 mb pc133 and 128 mb pc125 for my 3 ram modules...

I have another 128 mb stick of pc100, would that be better suited for my system...? or should I just stick with the pc125, I'm asking because I've never heard of pc125 before, just pc100 and pc133, and it's kinda freakin' me out...
Haha, no, I'd just stick with the 125. Maybe open up your case and look at the label on the RAM to check it out?

The thing is, even if you have some fast RAM, like PC133, if you've got even just one stick of slower RAM, say PC100, all the RAM is bottlenecked to the slowest speed, in this case, PC100.

wol-va-rine said:
I have an asus p4b mobo (old, but very overclockable), but yes, I have slow ram, but I'm still trying to get the most out of what I have, also, I have a question, pcwizard tells me I have 256 mb pc133, 128 mb pc133 and 128 mb pc125 for my 3 ram modules...

I have another 128 mb stick of pc100, would that be better suited for my system...? or should I just stick with the pc125, I'm asking because I've never heard of pc125 before, just pc100 and pc133, and it's kinda freakin' me out...

if you have an empty expansion slot, throw it in. More RAM is better. But, take note: All the RAM will run at whatever the slowest module is. Meaning, if you have PC100 and then put 3 sticks of PC133 in there, all four sticks would run at PC100 speeds. But, to compensate, add more RAM.

So I would add it, if it as me. More RAM is ALWAYS a good thing.

freestyler105 said:
Haha, no, I'd just stick with the 125. Maybe open up your case and look at the label on the RAM to check it out?

The thing is, even if you have some fast RAM, like PC133, if you've got even just one stick of slower RAM, say PC100, all the RAM is bottlenecked to the slowest speed, in this case, PC100.

the 256 mb of pc133 is micron technology, the 128 mb of pc133 is kingston and the 128 mb of pc125 is micron technology...

I'd like to upgrade my RAM, but I think pc133 is the fastest that my mobo will support, and pc133 isn't very fast at all, is it...?

and that's a no go Jenox, all 3 memory slots are full, I need to find out what RAM my mobo will support and finally put some money into my system...

I would just get an older Socket 478 system or a Socket 939 system. I'm pretty sure some of us could put our brains into NewEgg and come out with a relatively cheap, yet gaming based system that shouldn't cost you an arm and a leg.

thanks, posters like you guys are what make this site such a great place to browse and post on...

I'm actually going upgrade my pc a little bit at a time and save the old parts to piece together a 2nd system, I don't need a high end system as I am not a gamer, I just want to build a system a little bit at a time while picking y'all's brains to gain some knowledge in the process...

that's where the real fun is for me...

in the last month or so, I've gone from a 550 mhz slot 1 processor on an asus p2-99b mobo with 192mb RAM with a 2mb pci trident video card and a SB16 ISA slot sound card to my better, although still outdated system, a 1.5 ghz (1.9 ghz now :D ) pentium4 processor on an asus p4b mobo (that I dug out of my closet with the processor still seated) with 512mb RAM with a 64mb asus NVIDIA geforce MX 400 AGP video card with a SB Audigy SE sound card...

the RAM is probably going to be the only thing I'll pickup for this specific system, every other Neweggventure will be with my future build in mind...

further evidence that I am indeed an e-tard, I went to circuit city last month and bought 1 module of 128mb pc133 RAM for what freestyler just posted from Newegg for 512mb RAM...

:mad:

Well, keep your current build, then with free cash, buy one piece at a time. Until finally, you have a future proof system. :)

Personally though I hate buying one thing at a time and waiting. I'm rather impatient, even more impatient when it comes to PCs. So i just buy all my stuff at once. :D

Back
Top Bottom