Who has Windows Vista already?

Le GoogelGuRu said:
Lol, can't you just type in your router's IP address in an internet browser and access it that way? :confused:

yes you can. i like this though. its n00b proof and a nice touch

Le GoogelGuRu said:
Well said. But I'd say it could run pretty good without 3GB of RAM.

Well 3GBs of RAM is just to cover the resources Vista uses, then enough RAM to game efficiently with. Vista takes up WAY to much memory, it's an OS, it's supposed to use LITTLE memory, applications use the memory, not the OS itself. Vista is a flawed design in my opinion.

Jenox said:
Well 3GBs of RAM is just to cover the resources Vista uses, then enough RAM to game efficiently with. Vista takes up WAY to much memory, it's an OS, it's supposed to use LITTLE memory, applications use the memory, not the OS itself. Vista is a flawed design in my opinion.
No...that's not true at all. I'll go boot up Vista on this machine with 3 GB of RAM and tell you how much it uses on average if you really want to know. Usually it was around 512-768 MB though if I can remember correctly. If it was 3GB minimum, all but a small percentage of users wanting to upgrade would be in deep s :D :D t

Have you ever actually even used it?

I used the Beta in school liek two years ago, and Solitaire used something like 128,000K of memory, for SOLITAIRE! The most basic of games aside from Minesweeper. That's just ridiculous...

Jenox said:
I used the Beta in school liek two years ago, and Solitaire used something like 128,000K of memory, for SOLITAIRE! The most basic of games aside from Minesweeper. That's just ridiculous...
The beta...and two years ago...
You can't really compare that to what it is now. In two years, a ton of stuff can be programmed. Hell, Vista's been in development for what, six years? And out of those six years, Microsoft wasn't really putting getting Vista out as their top priority. They were more concerned about XP. So you had a beta that was released halfway through development, and you're biased on that?? I don't think that's really applicable.

freestyler105 said:
The beta...and two years ago...
You can't really compare that to what it is now. In two years, a ton of stuff can be programmed. Hell, Vista's been in development for what, six years? And out of those six years, Microsoft wasn't really putting getting Vista out as their top priority. They were more concerned about XP. So you had a beta that was released halfway through development, and you're biased on that?? I don't think that's really applicable.

yeah, it might be biased, but also from reads it's using roughly the same resources. Vista just sucks to much memory for my liking, and i like to game, so memory is a huge factor.

people say u need 1gb for xp to get the full experience. it needs a minor 64mb to install. based on this it would mean to get the full experience from vista you would need a lot of ram! mine runs great on 1gb of ram. add another gig or 2 and it will be perfect for gaming. you cant expect it to use hardly any ram. it could be better but i feel its problems dont lie in the resouces it uses... more like some of its features

Jenox said:
yeah, it might be biased, but also from reads it's using roughly the same resources. Vista just sucks to much memory for my liking, and i like to game, so memory is a huge factor.
I guess you have a point, but for the average user, they only need a gig of RAM. On XP, a hardcore would probably want 2 gigs of RAM, so for Vista and with games becoming more and more intense, I would say 3GB for a high end gaming experience would be about right.

Also though, prices in RAM are dropping like crazy. You only have to spend like $100 to add a gig of RAM.

freestyler105 said:
I guess you have a point, but for the average user, they only need a gig of RAM. On XP, a hardcore would probably want 2 gigs of RAM, so for Vista and with games becoming more and more intense, I would say 3GB for a high end gaming experience would be about right.

Also though, prices in RAM are dropping like crazy. You only have to spend like $100 to add a gig of RAM.

Yeah prices are going down, and in the near future Intel's new socket will be out, supporting DDR3, and that should drop prices even more.

Although 1GB might be sufficient for stability and common use, a lot of people like to multitask, so 1GB, given Vista's resources, you may want to exceed that thresh-hold to 2GBs minimum. Which for me, is a bit to much at the moment. I'm upgrading the CPU before I upgrade the RAM.

I bet we'll see 4GBs of RAM in most benchmarking tests come 08'.

Back
Top Bottom