Why does my iPod 30gig loose all power in the cold

Half Evil

Golden Master
When I leave it in my car for a few hours, and come back to plug it in on the way home... its completely dead, and it was fully charged.

Its happened twice, and im not listening to it any longer then 30 minutes at a time.

So how does the cold just sap the energy?

I know someone who's Ipod battery life just recently got really bad, maybe its because of the cold weather too!

Playlist said:
Keep It Warm iPods run on lithium-ion batteries, which operate best at around room temperature. These batteries become less efficient when the temperature drops below 32 degrees Fahrenheit, so your iPod won't play as long in those conditions. Cold weather won't permanently damage the battery, though. Once it warms up, it should revert back to its usual performance.
The same doesn't hold true for an iPod in a hot climate. If you use or charge an iPod for an extended period at a temperature that exceeds 95 degrees Fahrenheit, you could permanently damage the battery and reduce the amount of time your iPod is able to play per charge.

16 degrees F or C? there is an apple page about teperatures, I'll go see if I can dig it up...

Apple.com said:
On Playing It Cool

You may find that playing an iPod in a very cold environment decreases battery life. Unlike a hot environment, this is a temporary condition. Once molecules in the battery warm up, the battery will return to its previous capacity.

EDIT: And more...

ipod_temperature20051011.gif
iPod Temperate Zone. Your iPod works best from 32° to 95°F. You should store it in environments of -4° to 113°. That's 0° to 35°C and -20° to 45° for the metrically inclined. Keeping your iPod as near room temperature as possible (22°C) is ideal.

EDIT2: All this taken from http://www.apple.com/batteries/ipods.html

It was 16oF the second night it happened to me.

Last night it was just above 20oF, and it stuck it in my beanie in the car, and it was perfectly fine, LOL hmmm odd.

off topic but aint u 15 arrizX? dont u mean your parents car? ... hmm this is wierd. i leave my stuff im pretty cold places sometimes and they are ok. i dont like ipods. too common and plain... and crappy. creative or any other make ftw!

it's only temporary when it happens to me. i usually set my leg over it for a few minutes to warm it up, reset it, then it works fine

Back
Top Bottom