Raid?

BGates14

In Runtime
I don't know much about raid, well really anything, aside from the fact that everyone says it's fast. Can anyone explain what raid is and the easiest / best way to achieve it?

^^ Yea that pretty much explains it..all I know about raid is that, Raid 0 is having two identical hdd and the data gets split in half and half goes on one hdd and half goes on another hdd.

Yeah, you're probably going to choose between two types of RAID - 0 or 1. There's more, but you probably won't use them.

1 is Mirrored. I don't think that's what you're thinking of. It actually decreases or keeps the same performance because it basically makes identical copies of the hard drives. So when you write a file, it goes on both hard drives. This is for reliability, if one fails, then you still have all your data.

0 is Striped. A part of the data goes on each drive. So access times are decreased since each drive is accessing part of the file, as opposed to a single drive just reading the file. But on the downside, if one drive fails, you lose all the data.

Back
Top Bottom