8800GTS or wait for R600?

Jenox

BSOD
I'm wondering on what to get. I own a CrossFire 32X motherboard, so I get full 16x PIC-e slots, wondering if I should get the 8800GTS in a few weeks, or wait for R600 to come out and go CrossFire. Any ideas on what's the best move?

wait for the r600. you have a good graphics card at the moment so you might as well wait to see how well the r600 goes up agianst the 8800. dont think its to long now maybe till the end of march for the r600

Yeah plus it would give me sufficient time to save up for possibly two...but we'll see.

I say wait. See what the R600 has to offer than make your decision then.

Definitely wait. The 2800XTX has better specs than the 8800 and even the 8900 line from nVidia. It offers 128 pixel shaders, the same as the 8900GTX, a 512mbit memory interface, and 1GB of GDDR4 RAM. Plus, it has better clocks. It should blow nVidia right outta the water.

Kuberr said:
Definitely wait. The 2800XTX has better specs than the 8800 and even the 8900 line from nVidia. It offers 128 pixel shaders, the same as the 8900GTX, a 512mbit memory interface, and 1GB of GDDR4 RAM. Plus, it has better clocks. It should blow nVidia right outta the water.

What are you talking about? The R600 has 64 Unified shaders, but it can do 128 shader operations per cycle. As for that stuff about the 8900 GTX, nothing has even been released about it, so I don't know where you're getting that from. Some proof would be nice.

It's gonna be such a beast. 1GB of GDDR4 with a 153.6 GB/s memory bandwidth. :eek: A full 512-bit Ring Bus for the memory. :D God I love ATI/AMD's architecture choices. :D

I think recently it was rumored that the first versions of the R600 beat the 8800 GTX by 5% or so and it was clocked slower too. Not sure of the reliability of that, but it certainly gives you a head up of the R600's power.

I just hope that AMD does something spectacular regarding processors before I build my next system... hopefully I'll go with AMD again.. but maaan.... those Core 2 Duos right now are pretty damn nice.

AMD Fusion. I'm actually interested to see what they come up with. Integrating the CPU and GPU into one die for simplicity. It's still a long way until this will be available, but it's interesting nontheless. :)

Yeah, I heard of that. I've got to see that :D

I bet it will be a little bigger than a Socket 7.

Back
Top Bottom