Need help ASAP - Can't find network driver for gateway laptop.

eapro

In Runtime
I'm supposed to fix it for a guy and I have been postponing it for like 2 weeks and I forgot all about it. Now he called me and told me hes coming to pick it up today.

I beleive it's a Gateway 6020GZ but for some reason there is no marking or sn on it so I don't know for sure. I tried all the drivers on Gateway for this model but not working.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Aren't the network drivers automatically installed in windows? if the ones dont work u have tried from Gateway then maybe its a hardware problem (is this why it needed fixing???)

Goto device manager, click on the network card and then select update driver, then it will ask if you wanna check microsoft for a driver. Give that a go. :)

none of the above work and no I'm pretty sure it's not a hardware issue.

I got wireless to work but now I need the Ethernet Controller driver.

Is the ethernet enabled in the bios? Does windows find the card ok (just not install drivers for it) and if so does it tell u the name of it ie realtek fast ethernet...

I wish I knew which model the card was but I don't. Windows simply lists "Ethernet Controller" under "Other Devices".

Is the model of the computer somewhere in the firmware because if I knew for sure which model it was it would make it a lot easier. Right now I'm going on gut instinct and external design.

3 ways I go about this problem

1: If you have a second network interface, use windowsupdate.microsoft.com to try to find a driver

2: Use a hardware ID utility like PC Wizard or Everest Home to find out which NIC you have.

3: Use your eyes to physically identify the NIC

Hmm...I have opened it and tried to find out but the inside is superglued or something.

I'll try 1 and 2

Back
Top Bottom