wireless network question

kydavis

Baseband Member
I have a computer in my bedroom with a dlink rangebooster wireless network card. The router is in the main living room (aprox 15 feet away) and i am only getting 14-20% signal stregth. My question. Is there a way, and if so how, to increase the signal strength. I was thinking of running speaker wire from the wireless nic up the wall but im not sure whats inside wireless antenas. Would this work or is there a better way. Thanks in advance for help! ;)

try different anntena angles. I read an article somewhere (i want to say Smart Computing magazine) that said besides normal interferance from things like Satalite tv's, cell phones, cordless home phones, and microwaves, the type of material the signal has to travel through, and the angle it travels through make all the difference.

also. Some of these signals, depending on the frequency, cannot travel through walls and need to be bounced into your room. This bouncing would account for signal loss.

If the router is 15 feet away, would it be possable to run a wire to it (through a hole in the wall or whatever)? Personally, i hate wireless. The only reason i use it is because my parents won't let me run a wire. Signal drops are a normal part of wireless life as the router renew's ips. This process does not affect hard wire connections in any way.

yeah...i live in an apartment right now so i cant really run a wire...so i have to use wireless....(which i really dispise) IS there any other way to increase the signal stregth that you know of? Do you think speaker wire would work!? thanks

you have to put the antennas in this kind of position: \ /
also make sure that the router is in a clear place away from metal, and any other big objects.

i'm honestly not sure if speaker wire would work. and the posistion Taylor suggested normally works, but like i said, depending on the router's requency and building materical, that might not be best.

Not sure off hand, but doesn't dlink have specialized anttena's you can buy to increase signal strenght? (i would look for you, but i'm about to hit the sack for the night)

Try a different channel on the router, ya could be getting interference from something. Also, what kind of router is it? 15 ft isnt very far.

Back
Top Bottom