CPU Compatibility Issues

Jenox

BSOD
Hello All,

I just upgraded my PC, made the switch from AGP to PCI-Express. In doing so I made the move from an Intel Pentium 4 to an AMD Athlon 64 3200+. I also got a new ABIT AT8 32X CrossFire 3200 Express motherboard, and then a 7900GS to top it all off.

Now, I've been gaming, as that's what the PC is designed to do, and I've been noticing that my CPU is vastly bottlenecking my GPU. So, with making the move to dual-core a possibility in the very soon future, as that's what i planned on doing, hence the entry level AMD (budget in mind).

My question is I want to purchase an AMD Opteron 165 Dual Core CPU, and I'm not to sure if my motherboard will support it. Here is the motherboard and the Opteron...

ABIT AT8
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813127234

AMD Opteron 165
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103588

All i want to know is will this Opteron work in my motherboard?

I think as long as both are 939, which they are :p, you're fine. On Newegg, it doesn't list Opteron as one of the choices for my board, but I've heard of others using it and almost made the switch myself. You might want to wait for more confirmation, but I'm pretty sure it'll work.

You might also want to try overclocking your 3200+ if you're dissatisfied with performance, if you know a little about overclocking. It's strictly up to you, because you can damage some of your hardware in doing so. But I figured since you were on the verge of upgrading, why not give it a shot? You could probably make it up to 2.4 with ease, possibly up to 2.6-2.8 with a good stepping and cooling. 2.8GHz would tremendously improve performance if you could get there. And if you're not planning on overclocking the 3200+, I hope you're prepared to overclock the Opteron. I haven't heard of many cases where the 165s reach less than 2.7; they're quite possibly AMD's best overclocking chips. If you keep it at 1.8GHz, it may actually seem slower than your 3200+ in some instances. And if you do ultimately decide to overclock either processor, good luck!

I have mine over-clocked actually, I can not go any higher then 2.2GHz though. I suspect my RAM is the issue.

I think I'm going to go ahead and buy the Opteron 165 and give it a go. Should get it come next paycheck or the week after that, so hopefully I'll have dual-core here in no time.

Get the Opteron. It should work, and if it doesn't you can always send it back. But there are numerous reports of using Opterons perfectly in the reviews of the motherboard, so I think it'll work.

freestyler105 said:
Get the Opteron. It should work, and if it doesn't you can always send it back. But there are numerous reports of using Opterons perfectly in the reviews of the motherboard, so I think it'll work.

Awesome, thanks for the info. =)

Back
Top Bottom