OEM vs. Upgrade

drumthrasher

Fully Optimized
whats the point of an OEM version of an OS if u can buy the upgrade version for a lot less money and still be able to do a clean install on a pc w/out an os.

Main problem with OEM is that its fixed to that one pc. Also, you dont get support of MS, which isnt a problem if your a system builder.

Raffaz said:
Main problem with OEM is that its fixed to that one pc. Also, you dont get support of MS, which isnt a problem if your a system builder.

how is it fixed to that particular PC...? just wondering how they could do that...

not sure exactly how, but the lisence is non-trasferable. meaning once you build a system with it, you cannot take it of that system to put on another system.

However, if you happen to change out 90% of the parts and need a re-format, it is still technically the same system so you will not be breaking any rules.

Does that make sense?

actually, the OEM license is fixed to the motherboard. So....to reactivate after upgrading, just tell them that you reformatted and need the key to be reactivated...just do this and you should be good to go whether you did reformat or not. Shhhhh, i didn't tell you guys this :p *Disappears in fear of being chased by the mods and Microsoft employees*

really? i figured it was tied to something, didn't think it was teh motherboard, but now that i think of it, it makes sense. Gotta wonder how they do it.

Back
Top Bottom