can this be done

ilovepcs25

Daemon Poster
Hi im running windows 98se with Aol Broadband silver and my stepdad is running windows xp sp2 with Aol dial up.
What i would like to know is if it is possible for my stepdad to run a broadband connection with aol using his account whilst im using a broadband connection with my account. Yes we have 2 aol accounts.
if it is at all possible what hardware would he require and is it just as simple as buying a router and just setting it up.
thanks

Matt

u need to get a new comp if your running 98
and yes just a router would be fine and then just install aol
but honestly if your still using aol thats sad dsl is exteamly cheep i think somthing like 10 bucks a month

esa193 said:
u need to get a new comp if your running 98
and yes just a router would be fine and then just install aol
but honestly if your still using aol thats sad dsl is exteamly cheep i think somthing like 10 bucks a month

why does he need a new comp cuz he is on 98?

maybe at the location he is at he cant have DSL.

could anyone give me any links on networking or router set up as this is my first attempt at anything like this i havent bought a router yet as im weighing it all up first and the aol help site isnt very good with beginners.

Matt

ilovepcs25 said:
could anyone give me any links on networking or router set up as this is my first attempt at anything like this i havent bought a router yet as im weighing it all up first and the aol help site isnt very good with beginners.

Matt
You just need the AOL settings to put in the router. If you get in touch with AOL tech support, they will give you the generic settings for the router.

ok cheers so as far as you know its possible to use 2 seperate aol accounts via broadband at the same time using the router?

Matt

i don't belive it will matter. the only thing that needs to be set to your router (assuimg AOL will do it the same as my RR) would be the basics about the line comming in for broad band. After that, account wise (assuming your talking about email and screen names, correct me please if i'm wrong) you should be able to use both on every comptuer.

yeah i meant email and screen names yes.
my stepdad would also consider wireless but as we are both new to all of this stuff its all jargon to us.
is it relatively easy to setup and also because my phone socket is downstairs and both pc's are upstairs would there be any issues to consider when setting it all up.

Matt

Back
Top Bottom