video problem...

wol-va-rine

Fully Optimized
I have a NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 4000, 64 MB AGP video card (I'm not a gamer)...

when I try to check out my advanced video settings, this window pops up "nvidia display panel extension cannot be created, possible reasons: version mismatch"

I downloaded the driver from the NVIDIA site, so I have no idea what the problem is...

my computer also blinks off and comes back on with a 800 by 600 pixel resolution sometimes (I like the 1280x1024 resolution)...

help...?

Raffaz said:
Is it definately the correct driver? Whats it say in device manager?

I went to the hardware update wizard and it started updating the files, I almost got a hard on watching the files fly from one folder to the other, then the screen blinked and it came back in 800 by 600 pixel mode, it finished and said I need to restart my computer...

when it starts back up I'll check to see if the same error message comes up...

I'll be back with a huge thanks or more questions and error messages (or the same one)...

celegorm said:
download new driver from here. the hardware update wizard isn't the best place to find drivers for nvidia cards.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_93.71.html

thanks Raffaz and celegorm, I updated it through the update wizard and after the above episode it didn't boot up the first time, it got to the windows XP black screen with the blue moving bar and shut off, it then booted up on the second try and the NVIDIA control panel was available when I right clicked on the desktop, I also didn't get any error messages when I skipped to the display properties, advanced, where I saw an NVIDIA control panel tab for the first time...

the above link was where I originally downloaded the driver from, maybe there was a problem because I didn't use the update wizard the first time...? IDK, but it's working now (for the moment), but I'm confident the driver is finally loaded, because the NVIDIA control panel never showed up as an option before...

thanks guys...

As a gamer (not recent games, more like Halo or Bf1942) I despise my MX 4000. I regret letting the local pc shop guy conning my into buying a video card (I knew nothing about video cards back then).

About the NVIDIA control panel, I just noticed that too, but it's only because it's now packaged in the recent drivers. I thought it was strange.

If you ever have any more trouble with your card, try downloading the latest driver, uninstalling your video card in device manager, reboot, and reinstall. Just a tip.

Marshillboy said:
As a gamer (not recent games, more like Halo or Bf1942) I despise my MX 4000. I regret letting the local pc shop guy conning my into buying a video card (I knew nothing about video cards back then).

About the NVIDIA control panel, I just noticed that too, but it's only because it's now packaged in the recent drivers. I thought it was strange.

If you ever have any more trouble with your card, try downloading the latest driver, uninstalling your video card in device manager, reboot, and reinstall. Just a tip.

thanks, my problem arose again this morning, so something's obviously mucked up...

I will try the uninstall and reboot, though I do have the latest driver that celegorm linked, maybe I'll delete it and download it again, just to be safe, maybe there was something wrong with the first download...

Don't use a download accelerator with those downloads. For some reason it screws driver downloads up.

Marshillboy said:
Don't use a download accelerator with those downloads. For some reason it screws driver downloads up.

I didn't use a download accelerator, unless Firefox has a built in accelerator...?

I googled my problem and a NVIDIA forum entry from about 5 or 6 months ago showed up, I clicked on it and was surprised to see a whole thread dealing with NVIDIA driver problems and my monitor (viewsonic)...

:eek:

this sucks, as there seemed to be no resolution to the problem in that thread...

the funny thing is that my older/crappier AGP video card (visiontek) 32mb NVIDIA video card works fine, it also runs off of a different driver than the 64mb (ASUS) video card, which leads me to believe that it's a specific NVIDIA driver/monitor combo problem...

:confused:

Back
Top Bottom