Memory detected as DDR200 rather than DDR400?

lhuser said:
Well, hold on there...you cannot mislabled a 240-pin module to a 184-pin module, that's ridicukous.

And even if it would, you machine can't take DDR, so how did you figure that speed out? Okay, you ight have another machine.

i know its redikulous, thats why i didn't belive it when i saw it. when it wouldn't go into my DDR2 board i was build off of for a customer's system, i held it up to pc-3200 and it matched. Poped the mislabled stick into a DDR board and it took as a 333.

Atomic Rooster said:
Yup, your DRAM frequency should be at least 200MHz. Just go into your BIOS and correct it.

hmm, thats what i tried to do then it gave me an error during POST start up. Something about a memory detection error.

You only changed the frequency to 200MHz, and it wouldn't post? Were all the other timings set at the Kingston's timings?

yeah it's messed up i know, that's why this has me so confused right now. I mean, at first i thought it was because i had my CPU overclocked so naturally i reset every to default so i can start over and still i would get the same memory error.
Do you suppose the memory timings is making a big difference? I looked at them and I see they are set at 2.5-3-3-5 (which is fine for the Corsair RAM) whereas for the Kingston it's saying for 200MHz the timing should be 3-3-3-8. The CAS latency is not a lot lower but the tRas is a difference of 3. I don't know too much about latency.

yeah i think im gonna try and increase the latency and see if that helps

Atomic Rooster said:
Were all the other timings set at the Kingston's timings?

you, my man, are a GENIUS!! I checked the timings as i said i was going to do and sure enough they were all set to low! So I increased the latencies to where they should be to accommodate the Kingston RAM and voila! Memory now reads DDR400, no memory errors...everything works flawlessly (of course i had to slow the RAM down a bit that made perfect sense as i am mixing value RAM with low latency RAM). I am so happy! lol :D

Rep to everyone who helped, every little bit of information counts!

edit -sorry LHuser, you'll have take an IOU for the rep as i have to spread some around first before i can give you some more. I still appreciate the help man, you always seem to be good for that.

Ha! timings! TBH, that's the first time I hear that! Oh well, I'll keep it in the learning armoire. Rep for Atomic Rooster.

But actually, it could of been true. Timings slows down if one of them is slower than the other.

Yea, I had a similar problem with trying to run a stick of DDR400 OCZ 5-2-3-2 with a stick of DDR400 Geil 6-3-3-2.5. They just wouldn't play nice together unless the timings were relaxed to match the Geil.

I also have the same problem.

What I did was to change some settings in the BIOS setup.
There is this setting in the memory section that is set to auto which the motherboard in default only detects ddr200. And so I set it to manual and it detects the memory as ddr400.

But now the problem is when I boot my system the operating system XP does not allow the new BIOS settings and the computer keeps on restarting and restarting byitself... Any solutions ?

Back
Top Bottom