HP Upgrade (Hardware)

rartuin270

Baseband Member
Here are the specs on my computer. HP a705w Specs I just wanted to know what I can do to speed this computer up hardware wise that would be around $100-200? New processor? More memory? What can I do?

get like a pentium 4 or dual core 3.0ghz and 512x2mb ram would be much faster!

Actually, you have PC2700 and if it messages at PC2100, then your memory you bough probable will be bottlenecked due to it. I'd suggest buying a low end Soket 775 motherboard and CPU.

lhuser said:
Actually, you have PC2700 and if it messages at PC2100, then your memory you bough probable will be bottlenecked due to it. I'd suggest buying a low end Soket 775 motherboard and CPU.

ok, so his comp has prob been bottlenecked the time. itd cost too much than he mentioned to get a new cpu and mobo.hed probably have to get a new videocard too.

Taylor said:
hed probably have to get a new videocard too.

not nessisaraly. I'm more than willing to bet that the on-board will out do any pci card he might have installed after teh system was built (seeing as how he has no AGP) If he is using onboard video, then a new proc and mobo might be more cost-effective than just getting new RAM. Keeping in mind tho that odds are you would have to re-do windows for the different drivers with the motherboard.

CompMan said:
or a better socket 478 processor, like a p4 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819116027

that would speed it up alot!
Or a better S478 motherboard. He'll just need a Micro ATX, because his HP is MATX factor.

The P4 will speed up, but the motherboard bottlenecked the RAM at PC2100...so I don't think it will EVEN support that CPU.

I'd get this board:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813138262
$47 and dirt cheap. With that P4, and new RAM, there will be a major speed increase.

bottlenecked? Im guessing that means that its not going to let the memory run as good as it should. Am I correct?

Back
Top Bottom