Memory detected as DDR200 rather than DDR400?

Ð88

Fully Optimized
a while ago one of my memory modules decided to die on me so i just replaced it with another 512MB stick. The old memory i have in my computer is made by Corsair and it's DDR400. The new stick is also DDR400 as it should be but it is made by Kingston instead. The problem i am having is that the memory is being detected as DDR200 and so it is being dramatically down clocked. Any idea what the problem is?

Is this from CPUz or actually the BIOS?

I'd try reseating your RAM, but it could also be a bad stick or an actual DDR200 stick with a bad sticker.

it says it in both CPU-z and in the BIOS. I also tried reseating the RAM but it didnt help.

also, i dont know if this helps, but the new stuff i bought is simply value RAM whereas the old stick is low latency "performance" memory. I didnt want to buy expensive memory because this computer is nearing its replacement time but i also need 1GB no matter what.

lhuser said:
Return the RAM. It's probably a manufacturing tag fault.

damn, serious? i was hoping i wouldnt have to do that but i guess if thats the case...

but just to ask, does that happen often (the mislabeling i mean)? You seem like you've had some experiences with that.

Well, to be telling you the truth, it could have come from the person behind the desk, but I had something like that. I spent money on a 1GB Dual channel kit, and I recieved a 512MB kit...because I know 512MB doesn't fit on one side, exept some.

I returned it and he checked it, to confirm it's a 512MB kit.

i've seen DDR2 667 marked as DDR 333, so i'm sure its possable that you got one that was miss-labeled.

Well, hold on there...you cannot mislabled a 240-pin module to a 184-pin module, that's ridicukous.

And even if it would, you machine can't take DDR, so how did you figure that speed out? Okay, you ight have another machine.

wait a second i made a mistake. When i was reading CPU-Z i forgot to look at the individual information for each stick of RAM and now that I look at the new Kingston RAM, it does show up as PC3200 (200MHz). What i read was the current memory frequency and that's whats completely messed up. So does that mean that the Kingston is labelled properly?

here is the memory info under the html report:

Memory
DRAM Type DDR-SDRAM
DRAM Size 1024 MBytes
DRAM Frequency 113.5 MHz <-- this is way too low
FSB: DRAM CPU/22
CAS# Latency 2.5 clocks
RAS# to CAS# 3 clocks
RAS# Precharge 3 clocks
Cycle Time (TRAS) 5 clocks
Bank Cycle Time (TRC) 16 clocks
DRAM Idle Timer 16 clocks