Terrible Performance After Moving Files

Yamaholic

Beta member
Hi yall I'm new to this forum and I need some quick suggestions.

I have a Sony Vaio VGN-FS980 with Windows XP and dual 512MB Centrino Mobile Processors with an 80 Gig hard drive and I use it only for downloading music, surfin the internet, and school.

Lately I have copied nearly 15 gigs of motorcycle service manual and training video data and I noticed my computer lacking the speed and multi-tasking abilities it had before I gained all of this data.

The biggest thing I notice is while playing music using Windows Media 11, the song will play for two to three seconds then stutter for a spilit second, then resume play, and it does this over and over again.

Just yesterday, I bought a 250 Gig external hard drive to store all of that data on and after sending all of the motorcycle data to the external drive, cleaning up my disk space, and defragmenting my C drive, my computer still lacks the speed and abilities it once had.

Is there anything I may be overlooking or I need to do ro regain lost performance?

Thanks in advance guys, I know how it is to have newbies come on here and ask questions as I am a member of other forums and know how it can be with the repetative questions.

Thanks,
Bryce

Unless you have done something extremely important since you copied the motorcycle data to your main harddrive, unplug the external HD and try doing a system restore to just before you copied the data. I hope you have system restore turned on. Anybody else have a better idea?

It could be a simple coincidence that this happened and be something completely different such as a virus or spyware etc. Have you scanned for these in safe mode?

I just ran system restore at the day before I retained all of the data and everything is running smooth again. Thanks for the info guys!

Back
Top Bottom