HELP!! Vista Installatino problem

superman22x

Golden Master
Ok, I just got my OEM copy of vista in the mail today. So I go to try and install it, and I boot from the OEM disk, and divide my harddrive into 4 partitions for various reasons and install vista on a 42gb partition. It begins to install, and reboots before the completing installation step, and than it boots up and resumes all normally, than, after a few minutes, my monitor goes black and the inactivity light comes on and nothing happens when I move the mouse or anything, so I have to turn off the computer. Than when botting up it does the same thing, so all I can do is try and install vista, which I have tried 3 times now, so than I tried installing my old copy of XP, but when that boots up it says disk read error now. So what is going on? Why cant vista install, and why does it say disk read error?

if your getting a disk read error now when trying to do the windows xp install, then it sounds to me like your hard drive took a dive at a very bad time.... or good time depending on how you look at it...

try formatting the drive with partition magic or something before installing so the drive is totally clean. it may just be a glitch on the drive but he could be right the drive may have gone down.

Ok, I made a stupid mistake, I have vista installed fine and will possibly dual boot with xp. Anyway, here is the mistake, I have 2 monitors andmy screen was loading to teh other monitor and not the one I usually use, and I didnt have teh other one on so I didnt know it was loading to that one, so yeah it was a dumb mistake, lol.

Ok, solved one problem onto the next. I know its kind of common to have different partitions for the OS and programs, but do the programs go on the same partition as the OS? Or the second one, and documents go on the other partition correct?

if a OS is installed on one partition, all its files and programs go on the OS's partition. you could move them after. does anyone know how to change the default program install directory from c:\program files\ to something else?

borat_sagdiyev said:
if a OS is installed on one partition, all its files and programs go on the OS's partition. you could move them after. does anyone know how to change the default program install directory from c:\program files\ to something else?
Most programs give you the option of where to install them during installation (sometimes in custom install)

yea i know raffaz, but its kinda annoying doing that, and sometimes you just overlook it. im pretty sure its in the registry somewhere :)

Back
Top Bottom