AMD Processor question.

Dot Cong

In Runtime
Ok before i get on to the actual question i need to do some explaining. When i built my custom PC i wanted an AMD processor but i didn't have a alot of money so i had to keep it VERY low budget. At the time, the AMD Athlon XPs were disappearing like crazy because of dropped prices due to the new AMD processors. Well i managed to find the perfect processor for me on geeks.com. It said it was a 2.2GHz AMD Athlon XP and it was going for something like $93. I bought it right then and there. I put it into my PC and it ran at 2.2GHz for a while but then one day it suddenly started reading as something like 989MHz or 787MHz or something low. Well i did some research and found out my specific model was actually and Athlon XP-M. So my question is, why is my CPU only running at 989MHz? Is it because it's a mobile processor? I downloaded a thing called RMClock and it seems to help, but it still doesn't run like it used to. Any help is appreciated guys.

check your bus and multiplier settings. something may have gotten goofed up, your fsb speed should be like 166 or 200. if you do 200 with a multiplier of 11 it will give you 2.2. also you might try updating your bios and see if its just not recognizing properly. the xp-m are actually really nice, you can o/c them a lot better than the regular xp's.

go into the BIOS, and disable the setting where it lowers your multiplier to save energy.

Most mobile processors will drop the multiplier and voltage at idle to conserve energy and save heat, so that's probably why it's showing up at that low speed. There should be an option like ownage said, it might have a name like cool n' quiet or something.

Like, when i boot up and it says "Syntax" and below that it says to press delete for BIOS, is that what i do? Cause i did that and i couldn't find a setting for power saving or anything. Help lol.

Back
Top Bottom