If I just bought a new pc at Best Buy...

Sooner

Baseband Member
3 weeks ago, should have they given me the copy of XP even though it was already loaded? They did give me a certificate for Vista which I sent in. Of course, it is not being mailed until March.

depends. Sometimes what they do instead is put a recovary partition on your hard drive so if you need to you can reinstall windows off of that.

if they didnt' do the partition then they should have given you some sort of CD.

Okay, just curious, was wanting to load a copy of XP to the notebook I have. When I receive Vista, will it only load onto 1 computer? Thanks.

depends on the lisense. if its an OEM, once its on a comptuer, it can only be put onto that computer. However, be it retail, you can put it on as many computers as you like. However, you can only have it on one system at a time.

celegorm said:
depends on the lisense. if its an OEM, once its on a comptuer, it can only be put onto that computer. However, be it retail, you can put it on as many computers as you like. However, you can only have it on one system at a time.
WRONG

both can install as many times as you want, but in OEM the license cannot be transferred to a different pc, but the retail can.

Sooner said:
Okay, just curious, was wanting to load a copy of XP to the notebook I have. When I receive Vista, will it only load onto 1 computer? Thanks.
Well if they did give you an XP disc with the computer you bought, you would only be able to use it on that pc and that pc only. Like an HP or Gateway or some name brand computer.

borat_sagdiyev said:
both can install as many times as you want, but in OEM the license cannot be transferred to a different pc, but the retail can.

thats what i said. i did not say it had any install limits. i simply said that oem could not be transfered, and Retail not on more than on system at a time. just not in those words.

If the computer you bought was an Acer you have to burn your own CD's from the program it provides.

u can only put it on 1 and activate it, but then again they have ways around that that work.

what computer did u buy? sometimes they don't give u a cd, it may be a partition on your hard drive.

Back
Top Bottom