PCI slots stopped working

Kickerz

Baseband Member
I recently bought a whole bunch of new computer parts for my computer. One of which was an Asus P5B motherboard. After about two months of use, I woke up after leaving my computer in standby overnight and tried to go online and my wireless card wasn't showing up on my computer. So I put a 2 other wireless cards to check, and a sound card. None were detected by my computer. I also tried all the slots.

Everything else works on the motherboard, is my pci bus done? Is there any fix? Should I just live with this and use a USB powered wireless network adapter? I really don't want to replace the motherboard because it's a humongous hassle.

Try and give everything a re-seat on your motherboard, try changing the ribbons etc. Are they just PCI slots not PCI express? Other than doing that, I'm not aware of any fixes for it then getting another mother board! Maybe someone else will come up with a better solution!

What do mean re-seat?
The PCI-E slot works perfectly. I don't know if they're related or connected to each other in any way though.

Kickerz29 said:
What do mean re-seat?
The PCI-E slot works perfectly. I don't know if they're related or connected to each other in any way though.
Pull the components out, then put it back in to make sure it's not just a loose connection. Check Device Manager to see if the devices show up at all. (Start > Run > Type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter)

When you've done all the things mentioned above, then your really left with 2 possiblities. 1: all the pci devices you are using are bad. (highly unlikly, but if possable, plug in a known working device and see if it detects)

or 2: your motherboard is going. unfortunatly the only "fix" is to get a new board. if its two months old like you said, it will be under warranty and Asus will (or atleast should) replace it.

So can I take everything out and disconnect everything, but leave the mobo and the cpu in because we had a hard enough time putting those in (not enough of the support screws [don't know what you call them])?

Thanks for the support so far!

you don't even need to take everything out, just the battery to get it changed.

I'd check IRQ conflicts. The only way to try that is to put a sound card in the last PCI slot.

Back
Top Bottom