Large 30gb backup

superman22x

Golden Master
Ok, I just ordered vista online, and now I need to format and install it, so I need to backup al my files onto dvds. I have winrar, and my mydocs is 28.7gbs, is there any way to compress the entire thing into a rar archive, and than divide it up into 4.3gb parts to burn onto dvds? Or whats the easiest thing to do?

I would buy a nice external hard drive with lots of room and back up your documents and files. That's what I do...makes it easier. Then you don't have to burn DVDs and do all that crap.

You should be happy yours is only that big.
If I were to back up my drives, I'd need at least 250GB...

Alvino's right though.

I do have a tendency to not trust externals, but, if you get a standard IDE hard drive, and then get an external case cheaply, instead of actually buying an external drive, you save money, and I think it'd last longer too.

I know but I dont have the money for it, so is there any way to divide the files up? Once they are rar'd pr should I just back the thing up by just dividing the files inside myself?

Yeah, thats what I'd do, just divide the files up yourself and burn them to dvd's. Thats probably the easiest way. Just keep track of what you've burned and what you haven't so you don't miss anything.

create a new partition. put it all on there. install vista. merge them and your good to go :D

dude_se said:
create a new partition. put it all on there. install vista. merge them and your good to go :D
couldnt have said it better my self , simplist idea , no dvd burning required

I tried that with partiton magic 8. Thats what I wanted to do, but it said my entire disk was used so I couldnt create a partition.

The thing I like about burning dvd's though, is that you have a permanent backup of your files. A hard drive could crash, but the dvd's will always be there.

Back
Top Bottom