BSD Unix vs. GNU/Linux?

kenhkan

Baseband Member
Hello you all *nix gurus,

I am really confused about something lately, after watching this humorous "BSD is dying" video clip on Google Video: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7833143728685685343&q=bsd+is+dying&hl=en. And I wonder, why do BSD people disdain the existence of Linux so much? I can get this mentality almost on every Linux or Unix forum. Aren't they close enough? Well, compared to Windows, Solaris, and others. I know Linux is a modification of Minix. In short, they all belong to the "Unix-like" family, no? I admit that I don't know enough about the history of the computing industry. So, can someone explain to me why there are the "true Unix" camp and the "Unix-like" camp? What and why the difference?

By the way, I started using Gentoo (installation = a hell of fun) and reading the books on LinuxFromScratch.org, pretty inspiring!

Thanks!

It's just a really childish thing that everyone does.

I am a BSD fan but I don't make fun of other distro's.

So how different is the Linux kernel and the BSD (or Unix in general) kernel? I've heard that BSD is way more stable, robust, "advanced" than Linux (famous one: Port in BSD beats Portage in Gentoo) but on the other hand, applications, community, tutorial, support tend to side with Linux (like I couldn't find drivers for my laptop under BSD). I have been having a hard time figuring out which one should I be learning.

Back
Top Bottom