Fried something with the power button...

seawolfxix

Beta member
2 years ago I built a desktop computer for gaming. It isn't anything special, but it works (well, it did work until yesterday). Asus MB, 6600GT video card, 2.0 GHz AMD processor, 2GB RAM, etc...

Anyway, last night I got out of bed to turn my computer on. Unfortunately, I think my fleece blanket charged me up with some static electricity. When I went to push the ON button, I felt a static shock as I touched it.

At first, I didn't think it did anything. All of my fans were running, and everything was lit up inside the case.

The BIOS never beeped, though. It just doesn't do anything. Nothing comes up on the monitor. I don't know if the CD tray should be able to open, but it doesn't.

I don't know what could be wrong since all the fans and lights turn on. It's obviously not the power supply (too bad, right?).

Did I likely damage the case's power button interface? or the motherboard? both?

Is there any way that I could have damaged my hard drives? I'm really hoping not.

I'd just like to know what I should be ordering this afternoon to try to fix the problem.

Thanks in advance!

Try re-seating everything, sounds like something on the motherboard has been fried, could be the processor?

Have you tried restarting it again? I have this problem with my pc sometimes, it turns on but doesn't post or do anything at all. I just hit the reset button and all is well.

To restart it, I have to hold the power button until the machine shuts down.

The restart button doesn't work at this point. It used to work in Windows, but I don't know if it's supposed to be functional before the BIOS does its thing.

The reset button should work at any time as long as you have it hooked up.

What was the result when you tried to start it up again?

Tommy Boy said:
The reset button should work at any time as long as you have it hooked up.

What was the result when you tried to start it up again?

Same thing over and over. My fans run fine, and the inside of my case is lit, but I never get a beep or series of beeps from the BIOS. Oh, and the CD-ROM won't open.

its possable you fried your PSU seeing as how the CD drive won't open, but i don't think that would be the entire problem.

look over your motherboard for me and tell me if any of the capacitors (the look like miniature soup cans) and tell me if they are starting to buldge, either at the top or out to the sides. To get an accurate reading on wether or not they are buldgeing at the top, just run your finger across them, as some look like they are buldging when they are not.

if any single one is, your motherboard is going.

Sounds like you could have fried something. That's what I hate about fleece blankets. Is the switch on your computer plastic or metal?

Back
Top Bottom