Core 2 upgrade

Istonian

Daemon Poster
I plan on upgrading to the Core 2 e6300. Right now I have a Celeron D and I hate it. I have pc 4200 (533) RAM. Will i be able to use that RAM and if so what difference will it make performance wise?

Yes, that will work with a core 2 duo, you just need to make sure that your motherboard can support the core 2. Don't just assume that because your board says it's dual-core ready that it can support it. The core 2's have a higher front side bus that most older motherboards do not have.

then yes, you should have no problems with it. and simply by going with the core 2, your perforamance will skyrocket compaired to your Celeron D

NO, your current memory will not work with that motherboard. That motherboard uses 240 pin DDR2 memory, you have 184 pin DDR memory. Buy some nice DDR2-667 or even DDR2-800.

Yeah my Celeron D works ok but I need more. One more question. How big of a performance drop will I have since I am using Pc 4200 RAM versus faster RAM

Ah I see. You didn't really specify... Well I just noticed that DDR2-533 is the maxiumum for that motherboard, and that should be fine anyway:
Memory
Number of Memory Slots 2×240pin
Memory Standard DDR2 533
Maximum Memory Supported 2GB
Dual Channel Supported Yes

Back
Top Bottom