Monitor has 'no signal', could this be due to a lack of power?

Ok, so, got the 500W power supply today and plugged it all in and...

...The same thing still happens, so it's not a power issue?

This is driving me crazy, i sometimes can't spend 10 minutes on this computer without the monitor turning off and saying 'no signal'. The computer doesn't crash, just the monitor turns off.

Any suggestions? Like i said, this is so annoying. If i don't sort it out i think i'm going to go end it all (joke).

Cheers.

something we probally should have had you try earlier, but have you tried a different moniter or video card?

Yeah, sounds like something with the video card most likely. Try swapping it out for a different one or using integrated graphics if you have it.

I've just plugged my own monitor in, a Viewsonic VX924, to see how that works. I have a feeling i'll have the same problem somehow, we'll see.

As for videocards i'm afraid i don't have another to try, my own PC is PCI-Ex, whilst this is AGP computer. Thing is, we actually replaced the video card, from a very old GeForce 5200 (i think), because the visuals kept crashing or not displaying bits of the screen and things like that. Now we have, the screen just turns off now and again!

One thing i've noticed is that i was listening to music when it happened before, and when the screen switched off to 'no signal', the music, although it continued playing (as the computer doesn't actually 'crash'), the playback was really jumpy. Mean anything?

Is there a possibility this could be a virus or something? I've only started using this computer since my one blew up (another story), but it's one hell of a mess. I've been meaning to format it and reinstall windows but haven't got round to backups and stuff. Could be a software thing perhaps?

Thanks again.

Wiredchild said:
I've just plugged my own monitor in, a Viewsonic VX924, to see how that works. I have a feeling i'll have the same problem somehow, we'll see.

As for videocards i'm afraid i don't have another to try, my own PC is PCI-Ex, whilst this is AGP computer. Thing is, we actually replaced the video card, from a very old GeForce 5200 (i think), because the visuals kept crashing or not displaying bits of the screen and things like that. Now we have, the screen just turns off now and again!

One thing i've noticed is that i was listening to music when it happened before, and when the screen switched off to 'no signal', the music, although it continued playing (as the computer doesn't actually 'crash'), the playback was really jumpy. Mean anything?

Is there a possibility this could be a virus or something? I've only started using this computer since my one blew up (another story), but it's one hell of a mess. I've been meaning to format it and reinstall windows but haven't got round to backups and stuff. Could be a software thing perhaps?

Thanks again.

When you loose signal and restart.

Can you see your Computer POST?

I can't be positive, but it still sounds to me like a video card problem. Can you borrow one from a friend or something? Or you could buy one from your local computer shop, and then return it after you're done?

LambOfGod said:
When you loose signal and restart.

Can you see your Computer POST?

What's a computer POST?

With the new monitor it doesn't actually switch off and have 'no signal', instead the screen freezes and sometimes gets a white line through the middle.

Some are suggesting that it's a problem with the videocard. I bought the card from misco.co.uk, would they be happy to just replace it? We've only had it a couple of months and it's had this problem from the beggining.

Thanks.

Wiredchild said:
What's a computer POST?

With the new monitor it doesn't actually switch off and have 'no signal', instead the screen freezes and sometimes gets a white line through the middle.

Some are suggesting that it's a problem with the videocard. I bought the card from misco.co.uk, would they be happy to just replace it? We've only had it a couple of months and it's had this problem from the beggining.

Thanks.

Yea contact them for a replacement

Back
Top Bottom