Anger management + Dell Inspiron 6400 = Bad

j.venning

In Runtime
Hi everyone, I am not having a good day. I am currently on um... anger management and it really isn't working that well. Today, my hard drive went through it's normal phase of trying to read itself, failing and then freezing windows thus I got impatient and um kinda kit it two times, smashed the screen down and threw it against the um.... wall!

Im not suprised that now the following prompts:

A disk read error occurred
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

Any ideas of how I could possibly resolve the issue?

Regards,
James.

P.S I know you shouldn't treat computers (especially laptops or even Dell's) like this but anger got the upper hand this time.

Buy a new computer lol, and preferably not a dell :) Seriously, you could have damaged anything. You could replace the HDD then find a problem with something else.

Hmmm LOL! What chances do you think I could recover anything?

Not really fussed as all I use it for it Remote Desktop so all my files etc are networked though I have a few downloaded pics that may come in use one day.

Well they could be good or bad, to be honest, its hard to say without knowing the extent of the damage caused mate.

depending on how hard you threw it, you might not be able to get anything off of it. its all a matter of luck on how much you'll be able to get off. what you do get off, might be corrupt.

if you have some old parts laying around change them in and out of the computer to find what is broken. I'd just buy a new computer since you probably would find lots of problems.

that problem usually means a problem communicating with the hard drive. try opening the hard drive part of the comp and reconnecting it or something

borat_sagdiyev said:
that problem usually means a problem communicating with the hard drive. try opening the hard drive part of the comp and reconnecting it or something
Correct, tho the problem here is whats damaged? Is it just the HDD or the mobo or a loose cable etc. Could be anything, coz pcs arent designed to be thrown off walls lol

I have determined that it is the hard drive:

Upon connecting to my PC (ah, the wonders of Sata!), it froze my desktop when trying to process the "Add New Hardware" stuff. I rebooted windows, set it to not attempt to boot from the disc but it is hanging the startup.

Looks bad.....

UPDATE: It now says the "Windows is starting up" message, before it was black.

OK - entered Dell Diagnostics, and it found the following "DST Short Status Test Error Code: 1000-0146". Read an article on a forum saying that I should enter recovery console and do "chkdsk /r", currently on 60% and counting, will do "fixboot" command after - hope it may have a chance!

Back
Top Bottom