I am not an expert and need advice...

wol-va-rine

Fully Optimized
I received a computer from a friend (so now I have 2 older computers) and want to mix and match the memory and processors so that I have the faster computer of the two (the other one will be for my kids to play internet games), I'm not all that worried about speed, but want to maximize what I have...

the computer I'm on right now has 3 memory slots/bays (filled with a 256 mb and two 128 mb sticks, chips, or whatever they're called) and a 550 mhz pentium II processor...

the other computer only has 2 memory slots/bays, so the most I could have is 384 mb, but the processor is an 800 mhz pentium III...

which will be faster, running 550 mhz with 512 mb ram or 800 mhz with 384 mb ram...?

thanks in advance...

switch the btr processor into the comp that has more slots for memory. ask a reatailer to do it for u. it may be at a cost but neither of the current combination for a comp is that great rite now. at least make urs the best u can get it. but if this were not possible, u should use the 800 mhz p3 one. i believe that 250 mhz in difference can make up for less ram. u should download freeramxppro here http://dw.com.com/redir?pid=1051696...://www.download.com/3001-2086_4-10516960.html
and go to settings and check or uncheck the options u wish to have or not. this program will make the most out of ur ram. i reccommend.

spywarebanisher said:
switch the btr processor into the comp that has more slots for memory. ask a reatailer to do it for u. it may be at a cost but neither of the current combination for a comp is that great rite now. at least make urs the best u can get it. but if this were not possible, u should use the 800 mhz p3 one. i believe that 250 mhz in difference can make up for less ram. u should download freeramxppro here http://dw.com.com/redir?pid=1051696...://www.download.com/3001-2086_4-10516960.html
and go to settings and check or uncheck the options u wish to have or not. this program will make the most out of ur ram. i reccommend.

thanks, I'll definitely check out the link, much appreciated...

I made a mistake, they are both pentium III, but one is a slot processor, can I get the processor out of the black box/casing...? I do have another mobo, an asus p4b, it looks like an upgrade and still has the processor on it, but I don't know/can't read what the processor speed is, though the specs say it supports pentium 4, another plus is that it has 6 PCI slots (wtf would I do with that many slots anyway...?), an agp slot and a cnr (?) slot, plus 3 slots for memory, the more I read about it, the more I want to swap out my mobo with this one, but it won't fit in either of the cases I currently have...

... thats too bad. the processor is probably a pentimum4 and it wont fit into a case... well, another case would be about 20 dollars at a near retailer, but are u willing? u can spend 20 dollars extra and probably get a pentimum 4 that may have 1000 mhz/ 1 ghz or more and have 512 ram. i would do it. the 6 pci can really come in handy in the future too.

spywarebanisher said:
... thats too bad. the processor is probably a pentimum4 and it wont fit into a case... well, another case would be about 20 dollars at a near retailer, but are u willing? u can spend 20 dollars extra and probably get a pentimum 4 that may have 1000 mhz/ 1 ghz or more and have 512 ram. i would do it. the 6 pci can really come in handy in the future too.

yeah, it's a pentium4, a friend is giving me a case with the power supply (I hope it's compatible), if not I'll go to a store and pay what I have to for a new case that will be compatible, the motherboard is way better than the one I have now (asus p2-99b) and I can have fun dinking around and upgrading it a little bit at a time...

another option is going to a privately owned computer store up the street and see what he has along the lines of used atx cases and video cards that people have left in his shop after upgrading their computers, my current mobo is maxed out with memory (512 mb) and won't go much higher (currently 550 mhz) with a different processor (maybe 800 mhz or 1ghz), but the other mobo will go up to around 3 ghz and maxes out at 3 gb ram...

I can't really complain about any $ I have to spend, I pieced my computer together from 4 non working systems that were going to be thrown out at my job and have maybe put in $100 in "upgrades" during the last 3 years (the asus p4b was in one of the systems that I cannibalized to make the one I have now, I guess turning a $100 dollar computer into a $200 computer isn't all that bad), anyway, thanks for your replies/advice, they're much appreciated...

borat_sagdiyev said:
what about the processor? hows a pentium 3 gunna work with a p4 motherboard?

i was thinking teh same thing. also, is the RAM compatable between boards? (ie are both boards pc133 type or DDR or what ever it might be)

spywarebanisher said:

Uggggg... please dont download that utility.

Those Programs that "free" up ram are all crap.

IT WILL DO MORE HARM THAN GOOD.

Back
Top Bottom