Distributed computer, CF teams.

Should go rather quickly on your machine, that's what I would of thought anyway. Keep it on 24/7 and the time will fly by.

Does this use much of your connection? I see it downloading since I just installed but will it constantly be downloading? Because dialup is slow enough as it is... :(

Le GoogelGuRu said:
Does this use much of your connection? I see it downloading since I just installed but will it constantly be downloading? Because dialup is slow enough as it is... :(

no, shouldn't use it too much. It just downloads the workunit(s) and then it will calculate it, then upload the results and then download a new workunit. At least that is how boinc works, and I'd assume folding @ home is no different.

mammikoura said:
no, shouldn't use it too much. It just downloads the workunit(s) and then it will calculate it, then upload the results and then download a new workunit. At least that is how boinc works, and I'd assume folding @ home is no different.
It said that it wouldn't be finished until May 2007 or something, that's a long time, plus I don't keep my computer on 24/7 so it would take forever to just get one work unit.

I know... that's why I'm trying to do whatever I can to get my town included in the government's broadband for the rural communities plan.

Le GoogelGuRu said:
Nah shouldn't be downloading for too long

Guide for running F@H with a dual core processor..

If you own a dual core processor, you have the ability to run two instances of F@H at the same time!

To do this, follow this simple instructions:

1. Browse to your program files folder, usually found at C:\Program Files.
  2. Make one folder named "FAH1", and "FAH2" (you can choose your own names, but those seem to be the easiest to follow.
  3. Download the console version of F@H, which can be downloaded here.
  4. Right click on the downloaded icon, and click "copy"

001sk8.jpg

5. Browse to FAH1 in C:\Program Files\FAH1 (or whatever you called it)
  6. Paste the console setup to the folder, and double click on the icon.
  7. Follow the instructions, and when everything is set up, close the console.
  8. Browse to the folder once more, (C:\Program Files\FAH1)
  9. Open the file named "config", open that in Notepad.
  10. Where the machine ID is set to "1",** change that to "0",** and save the changes. (** = See corresponding at bottom of post)
  11. Now, paste the console program to the second folder, (FAH2), and follow steps 6-9.
  12. Open the config file in the second folder, again, in notepad, and make sure the machine ID is set to "1"
  13. When you have completed all tasks, simply open both program folders, and run the application
Now, your folding output will be double what it was.

Please note, you will not be able to run two instances of it if you are using the GUI version, it must be the console version.

Any questions, PM me.

** ADDED> If you do set the machine ID to "0" and "1", and the applications will not run, set the machine ID's to "1" and "2". I had troubles with them starting recently, and found that doing that did the trick.

Good guide, helps a bit, but it is rather self explanatory. Good to know about the dual core thing though for anyone who has a dual core processor. Both instances work on different work units, correct? Because both of my instances are about halfway done with a work unit right now.

+1 for it anyway.

I have a 266 MHz PII box with 64 MB of RAM. Do you think it would be worth using for folding? Hell, I don't even know if I could get a network card in the thing...

Yeah, so when they have both finished, that is two workunits done. Meh, it'l work, just use the console on it though, its a little more power at the end of the day. Use a USB network card if you cant use PCI..

Back
Top Bottom