wireless signal

toole13

In Runtime
The wireless signal in my room is a little weak (24.0 Mbps, Signal Strength Low) and I was wondering how to make it better. I heard that a range expander increases the range the signal can go, but not necessarily the strength. Should I get a Wireless Range Expander or a Wireless Signal Booster?

Here are a couple I was looking at:

Signal Booster: http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-WSB24-Wireless-B-Signal-Booster/dp/B000085BD7

Range Extender:
http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-Wireless-G-Range-Expander-WRE54G/dp/B00021XIJW

Thanks.

well that first one is wireless B so it wouldn't do you any good, the second one looks like it would do what you need

Even though the first one is wireless B, someone in the review said it works great with wireless G anyway. Should I trust that?

you should, and you shouldn't. Wireless B is backwards compatable with wireless G, but once you add one B device, the entire network slows down. (its kinda like adding pc2700 ram into a system with pc3200)

celegorm said:
you should, and you shouldn't. Wireless B is backwards compatable with wireless G, but once you add one B device, the entire network slows down. (its kinda like adding pc2700 ram into a system with pc3200)

exactly, so once you get this, you'll have good signal but slow speeds for your home network, this wont really slow down internet, cause an 11mbps connection is plenty for internet, but for home networking its pretty slow.. so its up to you whether you want the slow speed and good connection, or bad connection and good speed

No he won't have a fast connection with bad signal the second one is wireless g and its a range booster so he will have both...did you even look at the second one?

yes i did, i was just responding to toole's question about weather or not he should trust the wireless b one.

Isn't it true though that a Range Extender only extends the range, but doesn't make the signal stronger? I just want more bars and more Mbps.

Back
Top Bottom