Monitor has 'no signal', could this be due to a lack of power?

Wiredchild

In Runtime
Hello everyone,

Recently upgraded my little brothers PC to a GeForce 7600GS so he can play his games a little better. However, once installed we got warnings that the card wasn't getting enough power and thus it put itself on low settings.

Now, this strangely doesn't seem to happen anymore but the monitor switches off and says 'no signal' when on the computer, meaning we have to restart it. It's a major pain and seems to happen randomly, though, i've noticed it sometimes happens if you scroll up and down an internet page quickly.

Could this be that the card simply isn't getting enough power to put a signal to the monitor or something? it's 300W. I just wanted to see what you thought before i go and splash out on a 500W PSU.

Cheers.

also if possible, get a 20 + 4 pin connector that way in the future it can be a 20 or 24 pin MOBO...

ohh and which way are they starting to go...is 20 being phased out or in or they equal and MOBO manufacturers just use one...

i dont know the whole deal just that there are 2 different plugs...

LambOfGod said:
Yep, Time to upgrade the PSU

www.newegg.com

:D

yup yup

yea the reason it will turn off while scrolling fast on a webpage is because that requires more processing power, and when it tries to process fast it uses more power :)

I don't know if the power supply would be causing the problem or not, but you should probably upgrade it.

at any rate that power supply scrapes the card minimums according to hits on newegg.

did you connect an auxilary power cable to it? that is, if it has a place for one.

Google Guru said:
I don't know if the power supply would be causing the problem or not, but you should probably upgrade it.

it's possible. My screen usually froze when I scrolled down a web page when I had my vid card oc'd. And yeah, I know it was the power instead of a too high oc, you don't oc very far with a 280W psu :D

And as for the pins, you can get a 20 to 24pin converter probably for something like $2.

Hello everyone again,

Replying to Celegorm, the auxillery connector is in, but it doesn't sort things. I've tried a couple as i was firstly using one which shared with the HDD. Btw, if you do that, does it limit the power output of the plug?

Anyhow, as for everyone else - cheers for all the replies, really appreciate your help. Just ordered a 500W PSU, which should hopefully solve the problem. It's got a 24 + 4 pin for any future use too.

I'll make sure i report back when it's up and running.

Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom