Dual?

I think 2x512 is better, but it leaves less room to get more ram. I'm not sure you would notice the difference anyway.

depends on if your board supports dual channel memory. for performance 2x512 would be the optimal configuration so you have 1 stick in each channel. this means you have to have matched sticks though, so if your going to buy a 1 gig stick later you need to buy a match to it for it to work well (possibly at all). chances are if you have a recent board you have room for 4 sticks of ram so you can add 2 more 512's later if you want and have 2 gigs. if you don't ever plan to go up to 4 gigs i don't think i'd worry about it horribly. but yes, it can make a difference. is it a huge one?? guess that depends on what your doing. i'd go for 2x512 or 2x1gb though.

hippie420 said:
One gb stick is better since it frees up one slot

i just don't agree with that at all. Yes, that is a benifit of it, but if you really want to utilize the capabilities of your 1gb, you will need 2 sitcks of 512.

besides just the performance increase, depending on the kind of ram (pc 3200 or what ever) and the manufacturer, this tends to be cheaper than buy 1 1gb stick.

celegorm said:
i just don't agree with that at all. Yes, that is a benifit of it, but if you really want to utilize the capabilities of your 1gb, you will need 2 sitcks of 512.

besides just the performance increase, depending on the kind of ram (pc 3200 or what ever) and the manufacturer, this tends to be cheaper than buy 1 1gb stick.
Exactly. And the performance increase with dual channel is actually rather significant.

Thanks for your replies.

I thought that 2x 512 sticks would be more efficient than just 1, but I had to check. Besides, it doesn't really matter if it takes up the slots as if I will have 2gb of ram when I get the next 2x 512 sticks, both being dual channel, thats more than enough for gaming purposes. You'd only really need more if you do heavy video editing or something.

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom