Help!.. Upgrading Compaq Presario 5000

Mysteryme

Beta member
Hey,
We have recently bought a Compaq Presario 5000, 10GB hard drive, and 256mb of ram.
Recently We Have bought a Wireless PCI Card (EDUP Brand), and A USB 2.0 PCI Card (VIA Brand).
We installed the wireless card the other day, and the computer was working up to speed.
Today we have installed the USB 2.0 PCI Card.
The computer is now running rather slow.
I thought perhaps upgrading the RAM to 512mb would be helpful.
But another source has said upgrading the HD will return it to its regular speed (The HD currently has 4GB free.
Just thought i'd get a few more opinions.
Thanx
Dave :)

I don't see how upgrading the hard drive would increase the speed. You really should upgrade your RAM, 256MB is pretty low these days, to 512MB or 1GB or something. :)

Google Guru said:
I don't see how upgrading the hard drive would increase the speed. You really should upgrade your RAM, 256MB is pretty low these days, to 512MB or 1GB or something. :)

yup, more ram should help, cause installing these cards makes them have a program run in the background or on your tray, to run the card, so this takes away memory from your regular programs, so i agree with google, upgrade that ram!

upgrade the ram.......
good solution, also look to upgrade the processor, since it has to be an older system

yeah upgrade ram , upgrading to a 7200rpm hard drive would have minimal performance increasae ,

hell that may already be a 7200rpm drive but if it was the orig drive from machine it would have been a 5400 i think as i used to have one

Back
Top Bottom