wow....computer repair fraud

Steff said:
We have a Chips here, sells computer games etc? :p
Must be a popular name, the one I go to on the Isle of Wight is very tiny, about12' x 16', & that includes the workshop!, yes, & like yours, crammed with games, plus two demo's on all the time

hmm...
I have to say that if I worked in a shop I'd have probably done that one for free... though it really depends on what the workload that I was upagainst was...

I mean TBH if I was quiet enough to be able to plug it in wholst whe was there ropping it off I could have found/fixed the problem in a couple of minutes, sent her back out the shop without charging a penny...

but you have to think that the average wage of an employee, and the fact that it'll take a short while to find thr problem.
it's nice that some people will do simple things ilke that for free.

but it's no way to run a business!

you guys have to realize that you are on a computer forum, you obviously have a interest in computer or electronics. some people just don't want to do it themselves. they don't want to be bothered with it, just bring it in broken and leave with it fixed. it takes time to do the research to learn how to do something you've never done before and when you just need it to work it's to long. the shop I work in charges $75 to do a wipe and reinstall, this includes a dvd worth of backup, reinstall of os, drivers, all windows updates, and any software you bring in that you want reinstalled after the install. now tell me honestly, if you have no clue what you were doing with a computer that wouldn't even turn on, is this not a good deal??

on another note, I'm sure best buy charges about 400 bucks for the same service considering to do the single dvd backup is around $90.

xtremezx2 said:
you guys have to realize that you are on a computer forum, you obviously have a interest in computer or electronics. some people just don't want to do it themselves.
With me, as I've told the guys here, I enjoy computers, but I didn't get one until I was 72, I've always been interested in things electronic, but being interested, & having the knowledge to put things right, are two entirely different things, nowadays my brain is very alert, but I wouldn't tackle the jobs that pro's should be doing, my chap drives five miles to me, £20 call-out fee, & usually that's it, if it takes longer, £10 for every half hour, well worth it in my opinion!!

hmm...
I have to say that if I worked in a shop I'd have probably done that one for free... though it really depends on what the workload that I was upagainst was...

I mean TBH if I was quiet enough to be able to plug it in wholst whe was there ropping it off I could have found/fixed the problem in a couple of minutes, sent her back out the shop without charging a penny...

but you have to think that the average wage of an employee, and the fact that it'll take a short while to find thr problem.
it's nice that some people will do simple things ilke that for free.

but it's no way to run a business!

Simple jobs like that, I would seriously consider doing it for free.

My shop does simple stuff like that for free somtimes. other times they charge depends.

Theres a PC shop that charges 180 bucks to reformat a PC, if you don't got the software then its that as well.

This is how they figure it 60 bucks per hour, to setup a PC 3 hours bench time.

COMPLETE UTTER BS. I never charge like that. I think techies that do put in a bad name.

And that guy who said its the PSU. OMG i'd agrue with him esp if I knew what the problem was. I'd go
Ok so you think the PSU is bad, why nto plug in a different one it don't need to fit in the case see if it works.
Did you even brother checking the connections? Maybe a cbale is loose PUSH MY MAN PUSH!

And $75 bucks for a reinstall... Thats well not as bad as some places but i'd charge like 50 or 40 and go with volume.

nik - you have to consider that includes backup, drivers (on older machines this can take serious time), and installation of any software. yes the install takes no time, but data backup (escpecially from a dying hdd) can be difficult and time consuming.

on top of everything else - if we have a customer that wants to put together there pc we'll give them a space of bench and if they need any help we'll assist them and teach them how to do it....FREE of charge. I think if more shops did this it would help out business. we've taught people everything from putting it together to some serious case mods. we're a pretty easy going place and its usually pretty fun to help someone learn how to do it :)

edit: oh yeah, 3 hour bench time for reinstall, LMAO, they obviously suck. actually install time for us is about 30 minutes. If you think about it though, the smaller shops are likely to be better simply because they need your business, does best buy really give a crap about one person knowing they got screwed??

I agree smaller shops are better for several reasons
1. Generally the guy fixing your PC, is also the owner or high up on the magement chain and can make decisions a best buy robot can't
2. Hes prob not out for his quaterly profits to be 22% higher hoping to beat projected outcome.
3. Enjoys doing it.

I have little shop near me and once when i knew bugger all about pc's a cable unplugged (unkown to me then). So i took it to shop they too the pc in a room for 2 mins brought it out and never charged anything at all. They could of said like that will be £30 please.

The other day on my new pc i put reinstall disk in coz of some random virus i got but it didn't work because the disk was registered with only eMachines computers.
So i took it to this shop they chared £60 for a new WIndows Disk, full reinstall, all windows updates, all stuff you want putting on anti-virus software, nero etc etc. Pretty good i think really.

Another example is how geeksquad (best buy) charges 250 to install an operating system, what could they possibly do that's worth 250 dollars and better than anyone here can do?

the place im doin co-op at next semester charges 79 for a re-install.

anyway this is lame their lyin through their teeth and they no it, they just want money :mad:

Nik00117 said:
I agree smaller shops are better for several reasons
1. Generally the guy fixing your PC, is also the owner or high up on the magement chain and can make decisions a best buy robot can't
2. Hes prob not out for his quaterly profits to be 22% higher hoping to beat projected outcome.
3. Enjoys doing it.
i agree that local pc shops are better as they are able to ake decisions, if i was the tecchie in a shop i would also show the customer what to do as they then know next time this happens to check this . also the guy with the psu did he even look inside the computer

i also think it is criminal how theese people can scam people who know nothing about computers

Back
Top Bottom