Ownage's new computer parts/work log

ownage said:
yeah, i know. But the performance will hopefully be worth the price. But right now, i'm temporarily going to use a crappy pci card that alvino let me borrow.

Thanks mods :)

I got a 9800 XT 256MB for ya.... its AGP though :(

Yea and the heatsink/fan fell off of it and it ended up cooking itself....

dang, the 9800XT was one of the best cards....just because its the brother of the 9800pro. No worries, alvino is coming over during a break and we are going to bench with his x1900XT. :D Hopefully the mounting holes will be announced for the X2800 series so i can buy my waterblock by then.

ownage said:
dang, the 9800XT was one of the best cards....just because its the brother of the 9800pro. No worries, alvino is coming over during a break and we are going to bench with his x1900XT. :D Hopefully the mounting holes will be announced for the X2800 series so i can buy my waterblock by then.
how come you're getting that ram, is it something special, maybe you could post a link? thanks.

The cell shocks? One thing is that they are guaranteed to be D9GKXs and second of all they use a 8 layer PCB compared to the typical 6. Which in turn, i can turn up the voltage on benching runs ;) One draw back i find about them is they are VERY pricey. I have to get them imported from Germany so they are a little more expensive than say Crucial Ballistix. But the added costs of the higher binned chips and the 8 layer PCB makes the price difference a little easier to swallow. Plus, the heatspreaders look awesome :cool:

Here's a link: http://www.tankguys.biz/2x1gb-cell-....html?osCsid=615ac93e1f8195329a5b0b0dd3f2a1ba

Re: New Motherboard

alvino said:
Haha, Ownage is just mad because his Lian-Li V1000 has the motherboard tray inverted, so heatpipes won't work. At least not efficiently.

Just because ATI doesn't release a product before NVIDIA doesn't mean they're sitting on their asses. Sure, they did have a paper launch with the R520 series (X1800), but the R580 (X1900) and R580+ (X1950) series were both hard launches that released around the same time frame as the G70 (7800) and G71 (7900) series did.

Back in the year 2000-ish, NVIDIA totally screwed up the GeForce FX 5 series. The 5800 Ultra was a complete disaster. Performance was hardly better than the 9700 Pro, but the price was about $100 more and it came with this freakin' ugly leaf-blower heatsink. That was when ATI got the upper-hand with the 9700 Pro and eventually, the 9800 Pro (which if you ask me, the 9800 Pro is easily one of the best video cards ever made). It took NVIDIA about 1-2 years before they even came out with anything close to the 9800 Pro. By then, ATI was already moving on. Now that's even worse than present day when we're waiting for ATI to release the R600 (X2800).
I TOTALLY agree about the FX series.. worst piece of shit line of cards in existence. I woulda killed for a 9800pro back in 03.
Zaki said:
id say that there are as many people who like to just edit their photographs, and play around with photoshop as there are gamers in the whole u.s. those people dont even bother playing games, so yes the average consumer does care about things besides gaming, and one of the major things is in fact "workstation" related.
How does editing photos in photo shop even require a decent video card anyway? I got away with using photo shop on a GeForce 4 MX.. it ran fine.

I disagree, in my opinion there are way more people playing computer games than people making use of workstation video cards.

If it wasn't from the DDRII-1111 (PC2-8888) to be expensive...you would of literally owned me in RAM.

you have those sticks? :eek: haha. I can probably run 1Ghz CAS 4 at 2.2V. who knows what it can do after that.

Back
Top Bottom