Control Center Confliction

PerfectSK

Daemon Poster
Hey guys, need some advice here. I just recently downloaded AVG Free 7.5, and everything was working fine. A few weeks later, I noticed when Lavasoft's Ad-aware program ran, it told me only 31 processes were running. Usually I have 41 so I went to investigate. Turned out that my ATI Catalyst program some how got messed up. I couldn't access the control center for the Catalyst program and when I click the icon for it nothing happens. Also, AVG's resident shield has also been affected. It shows a yellow check, meaning that that part of the program has some kind of error in it.

I'm not really sure what to do. I think I should try uninstalling AVG, and then see if I can access the Catalyst program. If it still doesnt work, I'm guessing I'll have to uninstall both and reinstall them. Does anyone else have this problem? Should I even reinstall AVG, because it might conflict again in the future? Also, should I get a new version of the Catalyst software? Maybe that would fix the problem. Do I have to have an updated driver version to run the new Catalyst program?

Thanks for reading, and any replies.

I would go ahead and uninstall both and reinstall them. If the same problem happens again, try to get a lower version of AVG. It shouldn't even be doing that (btw), it could possibly be something else that is effecting this software.

What is ATI Catalyst for? I have it, and it uses a lot of space on the harddrive, so I was thinking of uninstalling it.

mainly to talk to your os and youre video card i think, its a kind of driver, they are good drivers though! ;D

Is is necessary though? it's taking up a lot of space, and i don't use it or think I'll use it.

SheikZ said:
What is ATI Catalyst for? I have it, and it uses a lot of space on the harddrive, so I was thinking of uninstalling it.

When did 40Mb become alot of space........

the Control center offers more control over your videocard/videocard driver.
It offers you more Textures, Color settings, Even overclocking options...

To the original poster:

Uninstall and get the updated Driver from ATI, and the latest version of AVG and you should be in the clear.

Back
Top Bottom