Some general Vista inquires

serani

In Runtime
So firstly does Vista screw up any of someone's say "pirating endevours" ?

Did their voodoo programmers put some sort of hexing voodoo in the OS to have it track all my workings?

Is it going to run all of my software that only extends foward to Windoze XP?
(as it was obviously built before Vista launch)

Anyone leaning to stick with XP for a while longer and possibly wait for SP3?

./drools over dx10

Thanks for any information

toole said:
So firstly does Vista screw up any of someone's say "pirating endevours" ?

Did their voodoo programmers put some sort of hexing voodoo in the OS to have it track all my workings?

Is it going to run all of my software that only extends foward to Windoze XP?
(as it was obviously built before Vista launch)

Anyone leaning to stick with XP for a while longer and possibly wait for SP3?

./drools over dx10

Thanks for any information
1 - Um, what? Do you mean you can't pirate stuff if you're on Vista? No...

2 - No, that would be a major invasion of privacy and possibly illegal.

3 - It should, there may be some compatibility issues though.

4 - I, like many people, am going to stick with XP for a while until some of the bugs are patched in Vista. Once those DX10 games start coming out though, I'll buy it.

there are many incompatabilties with software. one being that office 2007 is the only one that will work in vista, there is not a current nero that doesn't have compatability issues. this operating system is brand new and in being that it is not going to be compatable with a lot of older software. especially right away. i work at a computer shop and we've been testing software with vista and have found quite a few that are not working correcting or won't even install.
as for buying vista, i'm on the partnership program at work so i will have a free key if i want, which may go on my laptop, but i don't think i'll be very dependent on it, i'll have it mostly to toy with so i can learn the problems and how to fix them for customers. i'm mostly sticking with xp for now though.

Yeah, xrremezx2 is right on. I'm still toying around with Vista. Everything is working now on VIsta finally, except for my old scanner and DVD burning software. I may just end up using Media Player's built in feature :(.

As for programs for Windows XP migrating over to Vista, it's a mixed yes and no. For example, DivX codec works great on VIsta, even though it's XP. My external hard drive doesn't pick up right right away like XP does. I have to "refresh" it so to speak. I don't think it's a major glitch, just annoying. My motherboard utility drivers didn't work for VIsta. Only Realtek got installed, lol. Most everything Vista, has native support for my system so that is good news. It's an older motherboard (see my sig). One thing I hate is the stupid User Account Control pop up. It pops up whenever you remove something or install something. Here are other compatibiltiy check that I've found ok:

WinZip 10 --pass with Vista
Adobe 8 Pro-- pass with Vista
WinISO 5.3 -- pass with Vista
WinRAR 3.63 -- pass with Vista
Office 2003 -- pass with Vista
AOE3 -- pass with Vista
Microsoft Flight Simulator X -- pass with Vista

That's all I manage to install as far as third party software goes. SP1 is scheduled to come out later this year so that's probably the best time to buy Vista if you're pretty paranoid about it. Other than that, it's working great. I'm finally doing my homework on it, watching movies, playing MP3's, and playing games on it. I got rid of the error messages that keep popping up upon bootup. There were conflicts while I was "manuall" installing the D-Link adapter at the same time, Windows Hardware detect attemp to install an alternate solution to the same hardware. It caused a slight conflict. I uninstalled it and simply wait for Windows to pick it up instead of me rushing to install it from the CD. Windows used it's native drivers once again, to get my network going again. OH, I also manage to get my Ethernet conroller working. Not that I need it anyways since I'm on wireless :p. Business edition really check your hardware. I don't know about the other versions of Vista, but that's what I noticed so far.

I can't seem to find info regarding DX10. It's not in the system info window like it use to be in XP....I'll try to find that.

xtremezx2 said:
there are many incompatabilties with software. one being that office 2007 is the only one that will work in vista,

Wrong..........I know for fact that Office 2003 Prof will work fine. I suspect Office 2000 will work fine also.

xtremezx2 said:
there is not a current nero that doesn't have compatability issues.

Wrong..........Nero has a free upgrade for owners (version 7.7.5.1) that is Vista ready.

Nero 7 Ultra Edition ENHANCED
System requirements:
Microsoft® Windows Vista Home/Business/Ultimate, Windows 2000 (Service Pack 4 or later); Windows XP; Windows MCE 2005, Windows 2003 server

Back
Top Bottom