Ownage's new computer parts/work log

Re: New Motherboard

the xfi problem was fixed with a bios update (the P23 version). As for the 680, its solid and dependable, and almost as customize able as the ATI one.

But like i said before, its still a sweet board.

Zaki said:
say what you may about nvidia chips, at least they're bloody well available, i dont see too many rd600 boards (one). and where the hell is dx10 ati cards, i mean im not a nvidia fanboy, i've owned both cards in the past, but ati is really letting me down right now, its as if they're not even trying to put up a fight.
I would rather have ATI release a good final product than a practically unfinished rushed one like nVidia did. There are wayyy too many problems with the 8800's, nVidia should have waited longer to release them.

celegorm said:
the xfi problem was fixed with a bios update (the P23 version). As for the 680, its solid and dependable, and almost as customize able as the ATI one.

But like i said before, its still a sweet board.

The 680i is in NO WAY as customizable as the DFI RD600. You just can't compare. The 680i is not asynch at all, there aren't many BIOS options, just your main primary RAM settings, some secondary. No GTL Reference voltage, so clocking with kents is horrible. The 680i just can't compare to RD600 is options. Plus, the 680i paved the way to the heatpipe bullshit that manufacturers have to implement to keep the volcano from erupting.

freestyler105 said:
I would rather have ATI release a good final product than a practically unfinished rushed one like nVidia did. There are wayyy too many problems with the 8800's, nVidia should have waited longer to release them.

Yeah. NVIDIA is good at hard launches and releasing products at the time or date specified, but ATI has way better design choices.

ownage said:
The 680i is in NO WAY as customizable as the DFI RD600. You just can't compare. The 680i is not asynch at all, there aren't many BIOS options, just your main primary RAM settings, some secondary. No GTL Reference voltage, so clocking with kents is horrible. The 680i just can't compare to RD600 is options. Plus, the 680i paved the way to the heatpipe bullshit that manufacturers have to implement to keep the volcano from erupting.

the heatpipes have been around prior to 680i, and i dont see whats wrong with having heatpipes, they look cool, they actually work in my mobo, i can understand most oc'ers like to have a clean area around the cpu socket for gigantic heatsinks and waterblocks, but its nice to have a stable solution right out of the box. it would be even better if there was no need for heatpipes.

and i agree that ati cards may be better designed, but i dont think its that big of a difference that they can get away with late releases for every single one of their new series, i mean it kind of takes the whole edge off, when you have to take much longer just to make something better. 8800 card owners are probably really happy to have dx10 cards already, if i was in need of building a comp in the past two months id be cursing ati for sitting on their asses.

freestyler105 said:
There are wayyy too many problems with the 8800's, nVidia should have waited longer to release them.

what problems are there? i have one, and besides from running a little warm, the card works great. Everyone of my friends who has one says the same thing.

celegorm said:
what problems are there? i have one, and besides from running a little warm, the card works great. Everyone of my friends who has one says the same thing.
yeah im really curious as to what the "problems" are with the nvidia 8 series cards.

Zaki said:
the heatpipes have been around prior to 680i, and i dont see whats wrong with having heatpipes, they look cool, they actually work in my mobo, i can understand most oc'ers like to have a clean area around the cpu socket for gigantic heatsinks and waterblocks, but its nice to have a stable solution right out of the box. it would be even better if there was no need for heatpipes.

and i agree that ati cards may be better designed, but i dont think its that big of a difference that they can get away with late releases for every single one of their new series, i mean it kind of takes the whole edge off, when you have to take much longer just to make something better. 8800 card owners are probably really happy to have dx10 cards already, if i was in need of building a comp in the past two months id be cursing ati for sitting on their asses.

Haha, Ownage is just mad because his Lian-Li V1000 has the motherboard tray inverted, so heatpipes won't work. At least not efficiently.

Just because ATI doesn't release a product before NVIDIA doesn't mean they're sitting on their asses. Sure, they did have a paper launch with the R520 series (X1800), but the R580 (X1900) and R580+ (X1950) series were both hard launches that released around the same time frame as the G70 (7800) and G71 (7900) series did.

Back in the year 2000-ish, NVIDIA totally screwed up the GeForce FX 5 series. The 5800 Ultra was a complete disaster. Performance was hardly better than the 9700 Pro, but the price was about $100 more and it came with this freakin' ugly leaf-blower heatsink. That was when ATI got the upper-hand with the 9700 Pro and eventually, the 9800 Pro (which if you ask me, the 9800 Pro is easily one of the best video cards ever made). It took NVIDIA about 1-2 years before they even came out with anything close to the 9800 Pro. By then, ATI was already moving on. Now that's even worse than present day when we're waiting for ATI to release the R600 (X2800).

alvino said:
Haha, Ownage is just mad because his Lian-Li V1000 has the motherboard tray inverted, so heatpipes won't work. At least not efficiently.

Just because ATI doesn't release a product before NVIDIA doesn't mean they're sitting on their asses. Sure, they did have a paper launch with the R520 series (X1800), but the R580 (X1900) and R580+ (X1950) series were both hard launches that released around the same time frame as the G70 (7800) and G71 (7900) series did.

Back in the year 2000-ish, NVIDIA totally screwed up the GeForce FX 5 series. The 5800 Ultra was a complete disaster. Performance was hardly better than the 9700 Pro, but the price was about $100 more and it came with this freakin' ugly leaf-blower heatsink. That was when ATI got the upper-hand with the 9700 Pro and eventually, the 9800 Pro (which if you ask me, the 9800 Pro is easily one of the best video cards ever made). It took NVIDIA about 1-2 years before they even came out with anything close to the 9800 Pro. By then, ATI was already moving on. Now that's even worse than present day when we're waiting for ATI to release the R600 (X2800).

i'd just expected more of a fight from ati, they did do well to catch up after nvidia's 7800 series, and i suppose its too much to ask for one company to stay on top of things all the time especially in the graphics market.

BUT no one can say that ati has not been sitting on their asses in the workstation department, hell i didnt enjoy paying $2000 just because i do stuff on a computer that they call "professional" and charge extra money for. initally i liked the aggressive ati firegl pricing compared to quadro, and they were one of the first cards with hdcp. BUT performance wise they still were not able to beat nvidia.

Eh, not too many pay attention to the workstation market.

Back
Top Bottom