Car Thread!

D-Lew said:
Turbo, turbo, turbo, turbo!

Actually believe it or not, there's legislation about aftermarket parts and warranties. It's the Magnuson-Moss Act and it basically states that warranty service cannot be denied unless the part to be repaired IS or IS DIRECTLY RELATED TO the faulty part. So, if your throttle body breaks, by law, the stealership can't say "We can't fix that under warranty because you have springs." Knowledge is power.

I've seen a fully built 2.0 Neon running 20 psi making 400 whp. I'm thinking about slowly adding upgrades to this car, as it only has 21,XXX miles on it.

So about the Magnuson-Moss Act, say I replace the throttle body, and for whatever reason, I lose my reverse gear. So if they look at the car and find an aftermarket throttle body, they still have to fix the tranny regardless of the throttle body, right? And does this apply to all states?

That is sweet, at least I can do small mods for now.

Edit: What I was thinking of doing are small mods for now, so that way if I ever decide to do serious performance mods, then they will have a bigger effect on power. But that would happen when I'm more technically experienced.

Edit 2: D-Lew, you said it looked different from you're engine bay, do you own a Neon? Even if you don't, the reason it might look different is because on the Neon, the intake ports are facing the front of the car, while the exhaust facing the rear, unlike most 4 cylinder cars.

Hey looks clean and nice dont go with a cheap muffler or you will get the ricer fart can sound.

You should add something like this to your Neon:

idiot_19.jpg

D-Lew said:
It's got a cable, it's just not connected to the pedal directly. It's connected to a servo motor which is connected to the pedal.

to be honset I havent spent enough time working on this car yet...like my jetta I knew the ins and outs pretty well...but its been cold out since I got this car lol...see I thought the servo would have been built into the TB...thats why I wasnt sure if I could rev it from the bay or not...

ohh and M3 M5 M6 or M roadster for all the wins!! hahaha

back to that legislation you posted: if you put a turbo in then your valve springs go...(because you dont upgrade them for some unknown reason) and that takes your cylinder out...then its not going to be covered by warenty due to the extra stree that Turbo put on the springs to make them fail...
you have to look at ways to relate on thing to another though...

Yeah, but I don't see that happening. If your valve springs failed you probably have an insane cam in there, they spin proportional to the engine's speed, not how much air is going through the engine. So that wouldn't be a likely scenario.

If you had a turbo or a short header and your catalytic converter melted or something, then yes, that would happen and you would be denied warranty service. Maybe that helps?

cabbspapp said:
D-Lew, you said it looked different from you're engine bay, do you own a Neon? Even if you don't, the reason it might look different is because on the Neon, the intake ports are facing the front of the car, while the exhaust facing the rear, unlike most 4 cylinder cars.

Yes, that's part of it, but also the ignition system is laid out WEIRD, mine just comes in from the side but yours is directly on top. It just looks funny cause it's so different. But yeah, my engine's intake and exhaust are on opposite sides. I'll probably be back tomorrow night with pics of the engine and also the new lighting I'm putting in. Stay tuned folks. And my car's a 1st gen Focus hatch.

But if I were to turbo my car, I would need a lot of supporting mods to get the most power out of the turbo anyways, so they would probably find a way to weasel their way out of the warranty.

My engine kill switch and ECU shorted out in my stupid Corolla :p. Total cost was $1800, but 3/4 of it was covered under extended warranty so I still ended up paying $350 for the work. That's too bad...

Yay! My HID kit will be finally here tommorrow or Monday argh!! I hope it comes tommorrow I cant wait ill post pics when i get it!

Back
Top Bottom