My Cooling Dilemma

Zaki

Daemon Poster
Ok, so i bought the antec 1080 plus amg server case back in 2003 for my intel socket 478 case, and when i upgraded to 939 i kept this as one of my cases, the issue is that its seems to keep heat inside the case no matter what the ambient temp is. i have the front door of the case taken off, all the 5.25 inch bay cover taken off (3 out 4) and both the side doors are off, the case cant be wired much better than it is realistically speaking, everything is clean (no dust i made sure) i've changed the thermal paste too. but my temps idle at CPU:42 MOBO: 38 GPU: 54 AMBIENT: 40

here are some pics to drive my madness across to you guys:

img1151xs6.jpg

img1152cb8.jpg

i have the stock heatsink and fan, and i really do not want to use something that would end up voiding my warranty in case something happens to the cpu.
HEre are my specs:
amd 4800+ 2.4 (stock)
asus a8n32sli-dlx
550 watt antec true power 2.0 psu
6800gt single slot card (evga 512 mb)
2 gb ocz 2-3-2-5 ddr 400 ram (stock speeds)
raptor 74 gigs
samsung shitty ass drive

and here is where i think things are going wrong:
i only have 3 fans running on the system
2 80mm stock fans in the back, they cant even blow away a thin light reciept paper when i put it right up to the fans.
1 80mm tri speed antec fan in the bottom front as an intake.

My goal is to bring these temps down by about 5-10 degrees

i was thinking of buying these fans let me know if you have used or know anything about them:
vantec tornado

please comment, thanks.

i would suggest getting a new cpu cooler if lower cpu temps is what you want. and an ambient of 40 with cpu temps of 42 isnt bad at all. but ambient 40 is kinda high.

Raffaz said:
Do you realise that you will get better airflow with the panels on etc?
thats actually incorrect in this case seeing as how the fans i have suck and they cant move air at all so when i close the case the heat just stays there and temps go up to 60 C for cpu and 45 for mobo.

Zaki said:
thats actually incorrect in this case seeing as how the fans i have suck and they cant move air at all so when i close the case the heat just stays there and temps go up to 60 C for cpu and 45 for mobo.
so get some new fans

A few tips
1. If you get a CPU cooler get a artice freezer one.
2. Get better higher end fans
3. Cleaning up your wires could drop temps by as much as 2 to 3 C
4. Maybe consider getting a better case, Aero Cool cases are amazingly cool.
5. Ensure that your CPU is installed correctly, i'd try to reapplying AS5 and ensure you do it correctly.

Zaki said:
So get some new fans, or turn some around so they blow, just mess about with it till you get a good configuration

yeah it has to be the fans (they're installed correctly) they're just really weak. the thing is i dont want to spend more money on a new case. thats why im considering those tornado fans by vantec.

the material for this case is like really thick metal, which i thought was pretty cool when i bought the case like 3.5 years ago, but now it just consumes heat and allows zero dissipation.

Back
Top Bottom