I'm building a computer

collibr said:
sweetness, i think i might stick with this, is finding a computer case gonna be hard for this?

ok. since it sounds like you are pretty new to this, let me just give you a quick run down on what to expect.

-if you've just been buying computers off the shelf in the past, then you have not yet encountered the fun of configuring a computer yourself, but there are challenges ahead.
-when you buy separate components, make sure you are aware of the warranty of everything.
-do NOT impulse buy, if you find something you like on one website, go check the price for it on another website, and then find reviews, and post on forums for help.
-you have to take care of each individual item till you know it works, and you want to keep it, so dont throw away invoices (shipping lists). I also like to keep retail boxes.
-in most cases you get what you pay for, since you are new to this ( once again i assume) you may not recognize some brand names and may attracted by their low prices, beware of this, check reviews.
-some retail websites are thorough rip offs, they'll say they have something in stock, and you'll pay next day shipping, but you wont get it for four weeks ,because they never even had the item. i recommend newegg.com, it is by far one of the most trusted online retailers for computer and electronics. zipzoomfly.com is great too, however they arent as customer oriented as newegg.com, for example zipzoomfly will never make an exception of the deadly restocking fee rule, however newegg.com associates sometimes waive the fee themselves.
-Paying extra to get the ultra high end stuff is normally foolish, technology is a vicious hobby to have, and just six months later you'll be sitting staring at your comp which you may have spent over $3000 on and is now obsolete.
-so what most people like to do (except for the filthy-undeservedly rich bastards) is to get "those" components which are maximum performance for the price. for example if you want to purchase a cpu right now, intel would be the way to go, it is destroying amd (intel's arch nemesis) in performance and price.
-there are also some things that never seem to come up in a newbie's (get used to this term) mind. components create a shit load of heat, and use a shit load of power, so be safe, make sure you monitor your temperatures when you build the computer. it is a LOT easier to kill your processor than you think, just touching it when you have static build up can sometimes be enough (speaking from experience), so get an anti static strap or just tap something metalic before you start dealing with your computer.
-finding and buying parts is only a third of the ordeal, once you get all the parts there are always things that somehow go wrong, be patient and start practicing how to call rma centers!
-do not waste your money at bestbuy, circuit city, staples or any other store. 99% of the time you can find something better and cheaper online.

here is what i would buy for a computer for under $1500 (not including operating system, keyboard, mouse) total 1557

cooler master stacker, great for future upgrades plenty of room!!
OCZ gamextreme 600 watts
Corsair xms2 ddr2800 4-4-4-12 2 gb
asus p5n-e-sli with nvidia 650i chipset
samsung 18x dvd combo drive with light scribe (you can print graphics on cd from the drive)
WD 160 GB 7200 rpm sata II 16mb cache
Acer 22" LCD Monitor dvi 1680x1050 5ms
BFG 8800gts video card
Intel e6300 1.8 ghz cpu (extremely overclockable)

ok so this is something along the lines of what you will want, the only things i left out are as i said keyboard mouse, and an operating system, but these specs are vista capable, the monitor is entirely up to your discretion i just put in one that is a really awesome deal, however if you want to spend more/you already have a monitor you can change this. ALSO i have not included any extra fans, heatsinks, etc. these might be required after you assemble everything and monitor your temperatures and asses whether you need extra cooling in your case, as a rule if you have more money, it would be well spent on cooling solutions. post what your final list of components before buying them so someone can look at them and suggest anything if need be. good luck.

Wow that was ubelievable....again thanks so much for the tips, yes I'm new at building and the brand names so a ton of research and triple checking my products will happen...again thanks.....Bert

One more thing, would these components be capable of running any game on the market at maximum and the highest graphics there is on the game without lag online and single player?

LambOfGod said:
yes they will

by the way the E6300 Zaki gave you

I wouldnt go with that you would be better off getting the E6400
Its not much more and is clocked higher to begin with and has an additional multiplier so it is Better for overclocking.

yeah, if you have some more money id aim for the e6600 actually it has 4mb l2 cache, but the great thing about the e6300 and e6400 is that they can be overclocked to performance levels of much more expensive processors.

collibr said:
One more thing, would these components be capable of running any game on the market at maximum and the highest graphics there is on the game without lag online and single player?
yeah it would be able to play games at high setting

i would go with an E6400 if you can afford it , much better
plus lag when playing online is mostly down to your internet connection

another thing you may want to get is a raptor hard drive or a segate perpendicular recording drive. as theese are both very good drives , i would get a 37gig raptor as a boot drive then something like a 250 gig seagate for storage
>SORRY FOR DOUBLE POST

like muz said, online lag is down mostly to your internet connection. I would get the e6600. all the reviews i've seen, and my personal experiance, its the best bang for your buck.

Back
Top Bottom