ISPs

I'm asking: What are ISPs like AOL, Netzero, Netscape, etc. for other than providing dial-up connections?

He could mean like AOL, how it has a browser built into the ISP functions...or I think comcast does...or they just use IE...I forget

netscape too

umm some of them provide home phone service too and AOL and some other ones have high speed....comcast, verizon

I know...i was just pointing out that they have browsers...or atleast Netscape and AOL do...thats all...

I have/had AOL, Verizon FIOS, and Verizon DSL, and Comcast...

kjman87 said:
Sure: Verizon FiOS.
Link: http://www22.verizon.com/content/consumerfios/about+fiostv/about+fios.htm

It is a broadband internet connection that actually has incredible bandwidth. What it is a fiber optic cable running through to you house where it goes through a photo diode and amp (which the company I work for produces for Verizon, its awesome, I get to work on this stuff first hand) anyway... it has mulitple magnatudes of bandwidth more than a coax cable...I currently get 5MB/s DL and 2 to 2.5MB/s Upload, and we have the lowest rated FTTH (Fiber to the Home)

the website I linked to you should help a bit to...overall you wont really notice to much of a difference between cable and it just because its really only effecting the upload speed...unless you are in a very dense area where many people are using the internet and thats where the extra bandwidth in the fiber comes in handy...

you can actually get your cable TV, Internet, and Phone all on Fiber now from Verizon (atleast where I live)

Its really cool stuff.

Is the Fiber Optic cable that you are talking about the same as a fiber optic say on a back of a DVD player to get Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS?

Like the red beam of light is coming out of it?

CompMan said:
Is the Fiber Optic cable that you are talking about the same as a fiber optic say on a back of a DVD player to get Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS?

Like the red beam of light is coming out of it?
sort of

borat_sagdiyev said:

the fiber for FIOS can be used to transmit that "red beam" but the light wave frequency they use does not fall in the visible light spectrum (if you know about the electromagnetic spectrum) is actually an invisible laser...and DONT LOOK INTO IT...it can perminently damage your retna if you look at it for toooo long, kinda like the sun.

EDIT: haha im actually at work right now testing Verizon FIOS parts...and im typing this on the Comp that im using to test them...lol i thought that was kind of ironic...

Back
Top Bottom