Windows Vista, What is right for you?

Very nice pics TD, i can't wait to start playing around with that OS, and finding out good tweaks and so on.

I wish I can post more picts but it takes too much time. The Control Panel is so cluttered. I left it in category view to reduce the headache.

Oh, Nero does not work for Vista. I can't install it. I'm going to try Roxio next. Adobe 8 Pro works for Vista so that's a relief. Right now, it's mainly trial and error when it comes to installing apps. What a pain. I'm waiting for Office 2007 so I can get it installed on my PC. I want to get Vista to the point where I can start doing homework on it. Right now, it just a glorified Internet machine. The latest Norton Antivirus Corporate 10.2 works with Vista too. I'm going to dump Norton 360 for that. Vista alone comes with Windows Defender and Windows Firewall. Just no antivirus program.

Although i have never used Nero burning software, i have always used Roxio and find that it does it's job very well. let me know how well it goes for Windows defender running on that OS..i want to get opinions from people before i acually use it. you can PM me your thoughts if you don't want to put your opinions in here.;)

I'm in the process of getting Roxio but haven't installed it on Vista yet. My thoughts on Vista is mixed. I love the way it looks and the feel is so different, that it makes it good. It's a nice change from the usual "Windows" feel.

The only thing that's soooo frustrating is the support. I can't just install anything. I've tried and more than 50% of the software I wan to install aren't compatible. The only program I manage to run are Adobe 8 Pro...that's it so far. Nero rejected Vista, D-Link got rejected due to driver issues. I had to do some tweaks to get Internet going using my D-Link adapter, but now I'm getting error popups upon startup every single time!!! I'm waiting for D-Link to get Vista support. Then I'll reinstall. But as long as I can get online, I don't mind the error message for now. Everytime you get a system error, Vista Business makes a report and tries to "fix" it.

Vista has native HP printer support so that's good. No drivers from HP is necessary since HP and Microsoft are partners. My printer was automatically picked up and even got the model number right. I've got WinZip 10, WinISO 5.3, and WinRAR 3.62 that I have yet to install. I hope to install them this weekend to see how they run on my Vista system. I need those vital programs to unpack a lot of other additional software.

I haven't installed any games yet. I want to get the main application software installed first because I have school going on now. If I can use Vista for school work, then I've accomplished a lot. I can't even burn DVDs at the moment. I hope Roxio will work.

I've experienced my first glitch with Vista when it locked up on me. Then I got the usual report error to Microsoft deal. It was when the PC was still in the process of loading everything upon boot up. I tried to go online right away and play an MP3 at the same time. Well, I guess it was too much to handle so it froze. Task Manager is modified from Windows XP Task Manager. Lots of improvements and new features. IPv4 and IPv6 seem to be common words in Vista networking: I never saw that even on XP. Networking options have been greatly enhanced giving you much more info in regards to your network. You can actually see your whole private network in a nice layout and look at the options. You never get this feature in XP.

I haven't really done too much on VIsta just yet because of my limited time on it. I'm using my laptop with XP because of school work. Once I get my apps on Vista and start using it more and more, I can get a better feel for it. For now, it looks too damn good to pass up. Windows are all different, Window transitions look pretty cool, less clutter in the Start Button, the Preview files in a folder looks pretty neat. Even if they just let you preview two out of however many files you have in a folder. The overall layout appears to be different. Probably same features as XP, but moved around.

When you first boot up PC, the Welcome Center pops up. It's actually useful, but I end up disabling it upon startup now once all my personal settings set to the way I want it. Hmm, what else? There's no games with Vista Business even though there's a games folder (ie, Solitaire, Freecell, etc.). I can't seem to find it. Oh, it has a cool new "Lock" feature. When you're away, you can lock the PC--just like a cell phone so no one can access it. THat's pretty neat. Another way is just to configure your screensaver to do the same thing. Speaking of that, there are some pretty nice looking screensavers as well as cool looking background wallpaper. Way better than all the previous versions of Windows.

Oh, Nvidia drivers doesn't seem to work as it should. I got the Nvidia control panel and everything, just that when you go into display properties/advanced, you can't see the GPU temp, Antialiasing options, and all those other advanced settings you can adjust. Hmmm. Driver issue, but display is not affected. It looks pretty good, you just can't tweak it just yet--at least for me.

For laptop users, VIsta Business is excellent for it. Lots of energy saving featuers, tablet PC support, infrared, Bluetooth, etc. What I may do is have Vista Business loaded on my laptop and buy a copy of Vista Ultimate for my regular PC (since I got Vista Business for free). Windows Defender, I haven't used yet. I'm using Norton 360 right now and it works pretty good. I don't like the fact that there is no ad blocking feature. I can see all the banner ads on computerforums, hotmail, etc. Not use to that since I use Norton Internet Security before and it had the ad blocking feature.

im gonna get my legal free home premium upgrade and maybe dual boot on my laptop. if i like it ill scrap xp... although i just seems like a jazzed up xp to me

You'll like Vista. It looks really different and it took some time for me to get use to. Office 2007 is suppose to have a learning curve too because everythings been revamped and redone. You know what though? I've never had more fun using Vista. It's a challenge getting things to work right and it looks so cool. It's fast too. As bloated as Vista sounds initially, it doesn't seem like it. My system is pretty advanced and has a performance rating of 4.2. I went to the stores that have Home Premium on their PCs, they're rating is a lousy 3.0, lol. 4-5 rating is excellent according to Microsoft.

The screensavers are pretty cool as they are more "animated". The backgrounds have very high quality images (wallpaper). The Sidebar is really nice. It has transparency so you can dim it all the way down or just disable it. There are more "Gadgets" online you can download. I got the IP Tool, the little Quick Launch tool, and system performance tool on there. I want Vista on my laptop badly but I'm going to wait for more issues to be resolved first.

I haven't found too many glitches with it. Most software installed as normal. Here's a tip from me:

Run the compatibility advisor once you install Vista. The CD or the download version will give you the option to check first before installing Vista. Then it will give you a nice checklist what is compatible and what may have issues.

If you choose to continue with the install, let Windows detect all your hardware first and install whatever it wants to install. If something doesn't work, then you go online and download the LATEST drivers (not necessarily Vista compatible, but get Vista drivers if there is an option to). Nvidia, Creative Labs, HP are all VIsta ready.

I found out that Vista has a lot of drivers preinstalled already on your system. Most likely, they will work for you. You may have issues with DVD burning software. I have no luck with Roxio or Nero 7 Ultra. I'm going to use Media Player 11 or just burn on my laptop that still has XP on it.

Newegg has Vista Ultimate for $199 by the way.

ill... vista. microsoft seriously screwed it up. the network connections folder is so messed up, and it looks so confusing. They should have just left all the tabs alone, like the words, like they shouldnt have changed "properties" to "personalize" and heck it takes loads of system resources to run. i think i would stay with xp cuz wats the difference besides appearance? i even disabled some of the appearance options in the properties of the comp for better performance. i hate vista. they gottta fix their bugs.u guys are going to regret ever buying vista soon.xp, yea!
oh yea, heres a tip, dont use sp2. switch to sp1.

Microsoft exactly knows what people want. This time Microsoft's proposed operating system "Windows Vista" is designed to emend the computing experience for their esteemed users. Right from basic level Internet surfers to high profile business entrepreneurs, from students to teachers and from engineers to scientists; Microsoft has tried to deliver tailor-made offerings for every individual according to their personal needs such as simple data storage to complicated scientific analysis.

Get more datails on: http://www.vistahunt.com/windows-vista-version.html

Back
Top Bottom