Overclocking your CPU, How to do it easily!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet because I didn't read all of the posts, but has anyone else noticed that pcwizard has an overclock icon in the toolbar to display the pre-overclock specs of your computer...?

Gigabyte Ds3 Overclocking

Whats up everyone. I just built my computer I have now and Im looking to overclock. Heres my specs.

Mobo: Gigabyte Ds3
CPU: E6600
GFX: 8800GTS 640mb
RAM: Corsair XMS 2gb PC6400 5-5-5-12
PSU: XionPowerReal 600W

I know 99% of people overclock their E6600 to 3.0ghz and above, Im looking to do the same. I couldnt figure out how to get a screenshot of my bios screen so I just wrote everything down so someone can help me with what to adjust. EasyTune5 software that comes with this mobo doesnt work with Vista, either.

Heres the BIOS screen

Robust Graphics Booster - AUTO.....fast.....turbo
CPU Clock Ratio - 6x..7x..8x..9x
CPU Host Clock Control - Disabled
CPU Host Frequency - 266.......700
PCI-E Frequency - Auto
C.I.A.2 - Disabled..Cruise..Sports..Racing..Turbo..Full Thrust
System Memory Multiplier - Auto...2.00...2.5...3.0....4.0+
Memory Frequency - 800 800

******* System Voltage Optimized *******
(Cant changed anything here unless I take stuff off of auto)
System Voltage Control - Manual
DDR2 OverVoltage Ctrl - Normal
PCI-E OverVoltage Ctrl - Normal
FSB OverVoltage Ctrl - Normal
(g)MCH OverVoltage Ctrl - Normal
CPU Voltage Ctrl - 1.325

Now I know the processor speed is the Clock Ratio x the Host Frequency. (9x266). Just, before I change anything, I wanted to get opinions from people with similar systems as to where I should start pushing stuff around and what temps I should be watching for, etc.

Any help is appreciated, thanks everyone

One other thing is I wanted to overclock my 8800gts alittle so I got nTune and I moving it only up 5 mhz on the Core bus, it fails the test. My core/memory is 513/792. If I push Optimal, it actually goes down. Is my card set to its max and above from factory? Or is there something else I can do to get it to go higher, like increasing the voltage to it?

You've gotta change the CPU Host Frequency to overclock it as you figured out.

I just built a very similar system, and I got it to about 3.8 GHz stable with aftermarket cooling.

The max temperature under load for the E6600 is about 60C. If it's getting close to that, you'll want to turn it down a bit.

Start out your FSB at about 300, and increase it bit by bit from there. Once it won't boot, downclock it a little bit, then start testing for stability using Prime95 or something similar.

Good luck!

Whenever I bring up my frequency, the second number after the RAM goes up. It starts off at 800 800. What exactly does this mean? Ive also seen other people lower their multiplier and raise their frequencies even more, why would it be a good idea to lower the multiplier?

The FSB controls both the RAM and CPU speed, because it's basically the bridge between the CPU and the other components. So if you raise the FSB speed, it not only speeds up the CPU, but also the RAM.

And keep the multiplier at 9. Since the multiplier controls only the CPU, you want it as high as possible (9) because if you then raise the FSB more, it will be bottlenecked by the other components, usually the RAM.

wait a minute... doesnt the e6600 have a 1066 mhz fsb? were u get the 300s from... or are u guys talkin about the quad pumped fsbs in the intel core 2 duos?

spywarebanisher said:
wait a minute... doesnt the e6600 have a 1066 mhz fsb? were u get the 300s from... or are u guys talkin about the quad pumped fsbs in the intel core 2 duos?
The E6600's FSB is quad pumped, so the real FSB is 266 MHz. So raising it to 300 MHz would be like raising it to 2.7 GHz from 2.4 GHz.

freestyler105 said:
The FSB controls both the RAM and CPU speed, because it's basically the bridge between the CPU and the other components. So if you raise the FSB speed, it not only speeds up the CPU, but also the RAM.

Thats true but some boards have the option to auto tune the ram. On my board if i'm overclocking I put it on precision cpu/memory mode so I can change the fsb and not change the ram. Then I go back in after my cpu is overclocked and increase the ram.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom