Will this work?? Network help.

i just did like a 5 hours investigation on ad-hoc, looks easy and what i need, i think instead of a USB version of wifi in my pc ill get a PCI, and you can shareinternet, u just need to make sure that the main connection shares internet.
Thx for all ur help its been great, tony :D

Andrew2020 U said that my modem is wierd coz its connected thru USB, well i still dont have an RJ45 port and i just read that i cant do the ICS Without an RJ45 Port, heres what i mean:

FROM MICROSOFT ICS AD-HOC NETWORK:

2. Enabling Internet Sharing on the Internet Connection of the ICS Host Computer
To enable Internet sharing on the Internet connection of the ICS host computer, do the following:
1. From the Windows XP desktop, click Start, click Control Panel, click Network and Internet Connections, and then click Network Connections.
2. Right-click the Ethernet network connection that is used to access the Internet, and then click Properties.
3. On the Advanced tab, select the Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection check box and clear the Allow other network users to control or disable this shared Internet connection check box.
4. Click OK to save changes to your connection.
5. You might be prompted with a Local Network message box that explains how your computer's configuration is being changed. Click Yes to enable Internet sharing.

END.

This is impossible on my computer because in my advanced tab there are no sharing internet options its just blank and firwall settings, as andrew said, do i have to bridge the connections instead??

If your modem shows up as a network connection you will be able to share it, regardless of the interface you use to plug it in.

I just ripped the ethernet 10/100mbps D-Link PCI outta my Win2K pc, and i am gonna install it in my main PC< will this be better than using a USB interface, i also hav another linking question:

When i first tried to network thru wires between my 2 PC's thru a modem i plugged the Ethernet into my Win2K PC and the USB part into my XP PC, i noticed and always have that in my win2k pc with the thernet the internet speed was 100mbps whereas in my WinXP PC it was only 10mbps
Why??
Is Ethernet Faster, if so would this be a better choice for my AD-HOC network. :confused:

AD-HOC is a way to connect wireless computers, so you cant compare an ethernet connection to it. Ethernet is faster than wireless tho. Also, the speed diference between the XP machine and 2K machine could be down to the NIC cards. I still reckon that an ADSL wireless router would be the best solution for you.

What do you mean which hotel?
there only is 1 you idiot!
And i am not getting a stupid router so shut the hell up!

aff1993 said:
What do you mean which hotel?
there only is 1 you idiot!
And i am not getting a stupid router so shut the hell up!

hey, hey now... he's jsut trying to help. while routers will end up costing you more money it does make the job alot easier. i'm fairly compitent at wireless networks (minus encyption, so i use mac filtering which is a little more secure) and i have a hard time using Ad-HOC.

you posted the thread asking for advice, just because its not some you like doesn't mean u can blow up at the person who said it.

Will the ad-hoc slow my pc with the wired connection down, if so will it be noticeable, and i only want it for the internet, not printer $hit and stuff, and can anyone on my wired pc see what im doing?
P.S: Dont you dare say the word router again, or ill stick it up ar ar$e! :mad:

Back
Top Bottom