RAM: 3GB vs. 2GB?

G9

Daemon Poster
I'm thinking about a MacBook Pro, and would like to know the performance between 3GB of RAM or 2GB... would 3GB be faster, and if so, by much?

if they set it up so its 2 1 gig sticks and 2 512 sticks of RAM yes. that way it is utilizing the DDR (or possibly DDR2) technology. However, if its just three 1gig sticks, it will be a little slower do to the fact the memory will not be running in dual channel.

I would just get it with 2 gb. Thats really all you need. You can always add more later if you really need it.

Alright... adding the extra gig does cost a lot of money.

Who's the dumbass here... me or him? LINK

Him. "Ram doesnt affect performance." That guy must be crazy. Why do people spend $300-$400 on Ram for their computer if it doesnt affect performance?

superman22x said:
Him. "Ram doesnt affect performance." That guy must be crazy. Why do people spend $300-$400 on Ram for their computer if it doesnt affect performance?

lol what he said ^^^

to kind-of answer your question on the mac forums about speed if not utilized as dual channel: i think (not 100% sure) that it will be slower. Simply because determinaning single/dual channel is done by the motherboard. Unless Mac uses wired mobo's i think it will treat it just like a windows system would. (if any mac user knows more bout this feel free to add)

Mmm... thing is, this is a mostly PC forum. I posted up at MacWorld as well...

Back
Top Bottom